Switching to unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogbiskit2, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

Hi all,

I think this will work, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm leaving the country next month and it sounds like I'll need to have an unlocked iphone 4S to use there. I currently have a 4S under contract, which is locked to AT&T. I tried going the cutyoursim route, but it doesn't seem to be panning out. So, now my plan is to buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple, and then sell my 4S to help pay for it. Is this how I would pull this off?

-Purchase and receive the new phone
    -Put old sim card in it & activate it
    -Call AT&T to update IMEI
    -Wipe old phone
    -Sell old phone

When I move, I'll cancel the AT&T contract & pay the ETF.

Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance!

-D

2. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you try getting a gevey ultra s? If not, your plan sounds right.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

if TS already updated to 5.1 that deal is out.. Also if they are moving out of country I think it makes much more sense to buy a factory unlocked or buy a new one when they get overseas.

4. thefreeagent macrumors member

As far as I know, you just need to swap the sim cards. That's what I did, and didn't even bother calling AT&T with the IMEI. At any rate, it works just fine for me.

5. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

True. Depending on the length of the move(permanent?) and the country you are going to OP, it might be cheaper to get a subsidized phone from there.

6. dogbiskit2 thread starter macrumors member

Yup, it's already updated updated to 5.1, so gevey is out. I was considering waiting until I got over there to do the switch, but I would've had to sell the phone here, and then get one over there which would leave me without a phone for a longer time. Plus, I found out the unlocked phone through apple is actually cheaper here!

Thanks for everyone's help!:D

-D

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yup just buy unlocked phone here then sell your old phone to pay for new unlocked phone.