Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I'm getting a Powerbook 17" 1.5 ghz soon and I am selling my dual powermac g4 1.0 ghz. I was wondering if there was a program, or an easy way, that I could just copy the whole HD and everyone will work. I have so many programs, I do not want to waste my time installing them again.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
just connect the 15" and the powermac with an ethernet cord, make sure Personal File Sharing is turned on on the powermac, and connect to the powermac from the powerbook using Cmd+K in finder (typing the computer's share name will be sufficient), then type in your shortname and password for the powermac in the prompt that comes up, then drag your applications and your home folder onto the powerbook's hdd. I wouldn't copy the OS because that stuff maybe newer than your old OS install on the powermac. Also your new shortname on the powerbook must match the shortname on the powermac if you want to use the home folder contents.

EDIT: I wouldn't use carbon copy cloner, since that copies the whole OS and you could run into problems.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
7on said:
just connect the 15" and the powermac with an ethernet cord, make sure Personal File Sharing is turned on on the powermac, and connect to the powermac from the powerbook using Cmd+K in finder (typing the computer's share name will be sufficient), then type in your shortname and password for the powermac in the prompt that comes up, then drag your applications and your home folder onto the powerbook's hdd. I wouldn't copy the OS because that stuff maybe newer than your old OS install on the powermac. Also your new shortname on the powerbook must match the shortname on the powermac if you want to use the home folder contents.

EDIT: I wouldn't use carbon copy cloner, since that copies the whole OS and you could run into problems.

Oh is it that easy? Doing it your method, does it copy all the library stuff too? So its all ready to go and no error messages pop up?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
7on said:

He could use CCC then do an archive and install from the software restore cd that came with the new machine. That would make sure the OS part was up to date while not losing his settings.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
iEric said:
Oh is it that easy? Doing it your method, does it copy all the library stuff too? So its all ready to go and no error messages pop up?

yeah, I've done this numerous times from my backup. It might be better to just drag the folders individually (delete the folders in your home directory on the 15" and just drag them over from the powermac via the network). It works fine, as long as the shortnames are the same (your short name is the same as the name of your home folder). You'll have to reinstall any drivers or hacks though. But that shouldn't be overwhelming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.