Swype and SwiftKey for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaunchpadBS, May 30, 2013.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I heard whispers a few months back about Apple in talks to bring one of these to iOS but haven't heard a thing since, anyone have any ideas?

For those of you who don't know what these are, they make typing on your phone about 100 times easier when on the move, made moving back from Android that much harder.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No rumors, I only can recommend that you wait until WWDC and see if iOS7 has something built in.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Hmm I personally haven't heard rumors about this but I'd be looking for apple to buy one of these companies before expecting much. I used swiftkey for a while and the thing is like a mind reader. I never really got "used" to it but with a bit more practice I could see doubling or even tripling my words per minute with it.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah swiftkey was amazing. One of the things I missed about Android. It really does sort of read your mind when texting. It has suggestions ready for what you're about to type before you even type it. It had even memorized how I responded to certain messages.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Yep, there were times I'd type an entire sentence with using only suggests. For those that don't know instead of the first sentence I've typed here taking 70-75 key clicks it would take 12-25. Quite the difference.

6. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I should have done a bit more googling first but the makers swype, Nuance, who already provide apple with algorithms for Siri are in talks apparently with more input methods

7. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I know that SwiftKey did say in an interview that they would love to be able to provide their product to iPhone users. This was just a few months ago prior to their latest release of SwiftKey.

I use both SwiftKey and Swype. I recommend both to anyone who can use them. As someone who have always preferred physical keyboards, I hated touch screen keyboards until I tried the latest SwiftKey. I had to conceed that I can type better with SwiftKey on a touch screen than I ever had before with a physical keyboard. Swype is also great. I use it when I have to type one handed. I normally thumb type in landscape with SwiftKey and use Swype one-handed in portrait.

There are iPhone users who still do not like touch screen keyboards. I think it would be great if Swype and/or SwiftKey can be made available to iOS users in the future.

8. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

because of how narrow the iPhone 5 is, I'm actually much more comfortable typing on it than I ever was on any of my android phones.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This. I can get 60wpm. Good enough for me on a tiny device like a smartphone. I'm not typing essays here.

10. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

11. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

That is impressive. That is my typing speed on a PC keyboard. I'm a lot slower on touch screen keyboards because I cannot feel the keys.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks. I'm 100+wpm on a hardware keyboard. It depends on how you approach touchscreen keyboards. If you "cup" the phone and use thumbs, it's pretty efficient. If you hold phone in one hand and use index finger of other hand to tap keyboards, stuff like Swype and Swiftkey is your savior. One trick to reach 60wpm on a touchscreen keyboard is good autocorrect! :)

13. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I use SwiftKey in landscape mode and type with two thumbs. In portrait, I use Swype either one-handed with my thumb or two-handed with my index finger. My typing speed is 22 wpm with SwiftKey in landscape and 17 wpm with Swype in portrait. In comparison, my typing speed on a full-size keyboard is 66 wpm.

I don't use auto-correct with SwiftKey. I prefer to just have the text prediction on. After typing the word, I select the predicted word instead of letting auto-correct pick the word. The reason is that occasionally, I type some text that is not a proper word. When this happens, instead of selecting the predicted word, I would then just press space to accept the input.

I use auto-correct with Swype as I trace out the word. Swype works a bit differently than SwiftKey. Swype allows you to pick a different word if the auto-correct gets it wrong. SwiftKey doesn't, so I want to make sure the word I pick is the correct one as going back is more trouble.

14. Fed macrumors 6502

Tim Cook's interview the other week suggests they may open up some parts of the OS. Whether or not he'd allow developers access to things like the Keyboard is totally different, as it's so integral. We can only hope at this stage.

During my rather short stint with Android, SwiftKey was the standout application. I would happily pay a premium for it on iOS.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I don't use swype or swiftkey, I just tell my phone what to type. Much easier, faster, and can use it while driving.

But I'm a rebel.

16. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

For those of use without a north american accent this is quite a challenge, Siri's just about useless to me, never gets what I'm saying correct.

17. cynics macrumors G4

I end up having to proof read and correct messages I have Siri dictate. Although I don't have an accent (or I have a US accent) I find Google's voice dictation a bit better (far from perfect though) but that's a pita on an iPhone.

18. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I'm shocked that someone hasn't posted that they are perfectly fine with the stock iOS keyboard. Worst keyboard of any mobile device hands down. Swiftkey and Swype ftw.

19. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I've tried to use voice dictation while driving. I found that composing a message while driving is really distracting. I felt it was so dangerously distracting that I stopped doing it. I would rather wait until I finish driving before I send any messages.

20. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I'm actually VERY good with the stock iOS keyboard; and IMO it's the best I've ever used on any mobile phone. But when I was on Android I did love SwiftKey & Swype. Truly wish Apple would buy out some company and integrate their own form of it for us. (can't see them ever allowing developer access to the keyboard)

21. Smartass macrumors 6502a

i like it how iphone has little spaces between letters on keyboard makes it much more accurate than the keyboard on android

22. Fed macrumors 6502

If it works for you, then that's great. For me, even attempting it is futile. I can literally feel my blood pressure rising. Unlike most people in England, I have a very English accent. It's certainly not RP, Southern or Northern - just a gentle mix. Which is why I'm baffled it's absolutely hopeless with me.

Just give me a decent keyboard that I can customise, and I'll save messaging for when I'm not driving.

23. phositadc macrumors 6502

Just had the keynote of the Apple WWDC.

No mention of Swype/Swiftkey, or any keyboard at all for that matter.

Are we out of luck for at least the next 12 months? :(