Sygic Sat Nav with TBT directions to be launched next week $79

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badgerman, Feb 27, 2009.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/Sygic-Announces-Sygic-Mobile-2009-for-iPhone-3G-3150.php

"Sygic have today announced the latest version of their navigation package, Sygic Mobile 2009 which will be launched at CeBIT 2009 next week.

Sygic Mobile 2009 adds support for Apple iPhone 3G and Sygic hope to be first to the market with a full turn-by-turn navigation solution for iPhone. Sygic say in their press release "Sygic is entering the AppStore to be the first on the market that offers full turn-by-turn navigation for Apple users." so it is not yet clear if the application has been submitted and approved already but we are seeking clarification.

Sygic software is gathering a growing band of supporters and it would seem that the company are both proactive and receptive to suggestions from its user-base, a refreshing change these days. The application (available for a number of mobile phone operating systems) has traffic and on the iPhone is landscape/portrait compatible using the tilt sensor.

Suggested retail price is €79 for Europe and USD $79 for North America. Features include:
    Alerts when a user crosses international borders and instant delivery of key country information such as speed limits, currency and time zones;
    Over 70 categories of POI information reaching well beyond the conventional lists of hotels and restaurants to include amusements parks and beaches, mountain peaks, tourist information centers and more;
    Tailored navigation options for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians;
    Voice guidance in more 20 languages."

Will be interesting to see confirmation next week.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Did I just read Voice guidance? :eek:
    Only we can hope...

3. Katuls macrumors member

the price is ridiculous in my opinion. 95% of the phones coming out have built in GPS and turn by turn directions now.. I for one am not willing to pay 79$ for a TBT app when I should have it as a standard app.

79.00 can get me a nice used tom tom on ebay.

4. marcmarcdv macrumors regular

Australia

Hello all,

Will This be for Australia too?

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'll believe it when I see it in the App Store. We have seen many developers "announce" the arrival of their app and say it will be available "soon," only to never hear of it again once it it submitted to Apple's (dis)approval process.

6. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

you know apple will update their map application with the 3.0 firmware. it will most likely have turn by turn navigation integrated, so why pay 80 dollars for it

i do say 'most likely', so who knows if they actually will, but I don't see why they wouldn't. almost like them rejecting podcast applications until they updated their own.

7. O2-guy macrumors newbie

Because off-board mapping for sat-nav has to rely on your cellular network for it it work. In areas of no/low coverage it will be poor or not work at all.

8. Aurial macrumors 6502

You're kidding right? How much did you expect these TBT apps to be when they arrived? TomTom Navigator, Route 66, Sygic (for other devices), CoPilot and Garmin are all similar prices on other devices, why would they be any less on the iPhone? Especially given that Apple is going to eat 30% of the price for hosting it in the App Store in the first place.

The fact that some manufacturers bundle some satnav software with their handsets is up to them. Nokia bundle their Nokia Maps app with their handsets but if you want real-time navigation you have to buy a licence which again is a similar price.

I can think of two good reasons why Apple will not include TBT in the Maps app in firmware 3.0.

1) Google Maps uses maps which are non-real-time navigable by virtue of the licence to use them. Maps from NavTeq or TeleAtlas which are real-time navigable cost a lot more to licence than the non-navigable versions.

2) Why would they include this as a feature when they can make lots of money from people buying these apps from the App Store?

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I would rather pay 77 once than $10 a month like the G1.

10. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Name one phone that has built in turn by turn for free. You must be kidding.

11. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

While I think $79 is a bit more than I would pay, there are those who might find the app worth it to them.

I personally have been using the latest version of G-Map West, and like it pretty good. But at $20 for the "west" version, and $20 for the "east" version, you'll spend $40US by the time your done and that would seem excessive to some folks I imagine. It's all in what it's worth to you.

I hope the Sygic app knocks my socks off, but we'll see.

Sean

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

samsung instinct

13. Katuls macrumors member

samsung instinct.

yes.. even the samsung instinct has TBT directions kid.

14. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Hmmm, you said 95%, keep listing. Also, its not free on the instinct. Im sure you pay for it on the data package you select. If the package says includes turn by turn, guess what, its not free.