Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smart home company LEDVANCE today announced the Sylvania Smart Multicolor A19 bulb, a HomeKit-enabled Wi-Fi smart light that users can control through Siri and the new Home app without the need of a separate hub. Because there's no hub installation, all users have to do is screw in the bulb into a light source and sync it with HomeKit to begin controlling the Sylvania lights.

The hub-free system works when users are both inside and outside of their home. When away, Sylvania bulbs sync with a connected Apple TV or iOS 10-enabled iPad as a hub for the smart home so users can keep checking in on and controlling the lights from afar.

sylvania-logo.jpg
"For more than a century, consumers have looked to the brand SYLVANIA for innovation, and this announcement represents another exciting advancement," said Aaron Ganick, who heads up the Smart Home Americas group at LEDVANCE. "For us, making the Smart Home a reality for consumers is all about quality products and strong partnerships with leaders in the industry.

By working with Apple to provide smart lighting that works directly with the Home app, we're making it easier for Apple enthusiasts to seamlessly integrate quality lighting into their Smart Home, bringing convenience and simplicity to their daily lives."
The company said there's also the ability to set scenes and activities in combination with other HomeKit devices "to create custom experiences through the Home app." Users could, for example, set up a simple Siri phrase like, "I'm on my way home," to activate lights, unlock a door, and turn on the heat in the winter.

LEDVANCE currently sells a collection of smart home bulbs, but they all require hubs to function -- similar to Philips Hue -- and aren't HomeKit compatible. Beginning in 2017, the company hopes to expand its Apple-supported product line, beginning with the launch of the Sylvania A19 bulb on Amazon sometime early in the new year.

Article Link: LEDVANCE Announces HomeKit-Enabled 'Sylvania Smart Multicolor Bulb' That Doesn't Need Central Hub

canny

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
Is there a list of devices that are compatible with all 3 main voice services - Alexa, Google Home, and HomeKit?

I want to have home automation, but I don't want to be stuck with Apple if Tim Cook is in charge.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Is there a list of devices that are compatible with all 3 main voice services - Alexa, Google Home, and HomeKit?
Same here. .

I want to have home automation, but I don't want to be stuck with Apple if Tim Cook is in charge.
I make sure compatibility is wide ranging.

Reactions: CarpalMac

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010

If it's compatible with HomeKit, it's probably compatible with everything else you listed. Alexa works with a ton of stuff. I have a few of the new LifeX bulbs, and I bought an echo dot because they're not HomeKit compatible, at the moment at least.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

It's not Apple's fault if Amazon, Google and Microsoft don't have a compelling alternative.

Samsung has its "SmartThings", but it's designed to boost Samsung appliances, of course.

There's no "HomeKit" for Android, deal with it.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
As a Hue owner, I'd rather they just made bulbs and strips that are compatible with Hue. The scene system and the Hue app is great and the Hue system already works with Alexa, Siri and Google Home.

Reactions: Aston441

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
It's not Apple's fault if Amazon, Google and Microsoft don't have a compelling alternative.

Samsung has its "SmartThings", but it's designed to boost Samsung appliances, of course.

There's no "HomeKit" for Android, deal with it.
smartthigns controls a huge variety of items. I have been using it for two years now and it automates my home well. still better then home kit overall. so far home kit is way too limited for me and requires upgrading everything but hue.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
smartthigns controls a huge variety of items. I have been using it for two years now and it automates my home well. still better then home kit overall. so far home kit is way too limited for me and requires upgrading everything but hue.

No, it's not better than HomeKit.

Is that a joke?

HomeKit is much superior to SmarThings and has more compatibility.

Reactions: ogun7 and Naaaaak

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009

Is that a joke?

Hmm have you used it? I have been using it for two years. home kit is too simple you can't program it. smarthings is more complex and thats good or bad. new or old usually smarthigns will support it. and it will do it away from home. I leave doors lock lights go off dog light goes on home goes into alarm mode. I get notifications if someone goes on our porch or ups drops off a package. also sonos starts barking. when one of us comes home sonos announces it when I get up in the middle of the night lights come on if I go to the back door to let the dog out the door unlocks and the outside lights come on. in 5 minutes of no activity the doors lock and the lights go off. I get a reminder if a door is left open I get a reminder if the windows are open and a storm is approaching. if it gets too cold the heat tape turns on.it is true home automation. you have choices.
it's not perfect but it seems to work better then homekit does so far. Plus it does it all from one app. I can setup routines and make things happen all from one app. I bought smarthings long before samsung took it over. its not perfect but it works with old and new things. it works with apple or android or on the web. you can write scripts for it too though I have never done so.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Hmm have you used it? I have been using it for two years. home kit is too simple you can't program it. smarthings is more complex and thats good or bad. new or old usually smarthigns will support it. and it will do it away from home. I leave doors lock lights go off dog light goes on home goes into alarm mode. I get notifications if someone goes on our porch or ups drops off a package. also sonos starts barking. when one of us comes home sonos announces it when I get up in the middle of the night lights come on if I go to the back door to let the dog out the door unlocks and the outside lights come on. in 5 minutes of no activity the doors lock and the lights go off. I get a reminder if a door is left open I get a reminder if the windows are open and a storm is approaching. if it gets too cold the heat tape turns on.it is true home automation. you have choices.
it's not perfect but it seems to work better then homekit does so far. Plus it does it all from one app. I can setup routines and make things happen all from one app. I bought smarthings long before samsung took it over. its not perfect but it works with old and new things. it works with apple or android or on the web. you can write scripts for it too though I have never done so.

Aside from the voice notifications, all of those things can be configured to work the same way with HomeKit, so not sure what you're basic your conclusion on.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Aside from the voice notifications, all of those things can be configured to work the same way with HomeKit, so not sure what you're basic your conclusion on.
those are just a few things. all my stuff is different brands and I have been using it two years. home kit is just starting to become useful and it requires buying all new hardware and a apple tv. and ti s ice not to have to rely on only on apple. I don't have to ave a app for each unit either. I do it all from smarthings that makes it easier. hue is the only separate app I use because it is easier tossup then home kit. Plus all my devices have full access to smarthings. it was only just recently we could even share hue between two phones. I would also have to buy a apple tv to use it away from home. I have a choice of how I get notifications say a text or a push or a email and what it says. those change change depending on the house mode too automatically.
as things change I will get stuff that is home kit compatible but smarthtings has ben doing it for a long time when home kit has struggled.

Last edited:

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Hmm have you used it?

Yes, it barely works

I have been using it for two years. home kit is too simple you can't program it.

Wrong, you can.

smarthings is more complex and thats good or bad.

In no way.

new or old usually smarthigns will support it. and it will do it away from home.

So does Homekit

I leave doors lock lights go off dog light goes on home goes into alarm mode.

So does HomeKit

I get notifications if someone goes on our porch or ups drops off a package.

So does HomeKit, and you get a livefeed too.

also sonos starts barking.

AirPlay

when one of us comes home sonos announces it

Friends.app

when I get up in the middle of the night lights come on

Sound like a good idea /s

if I go to the back door to let the dog out the door unlocks and the outside lights come on.

So can HomeKit

in 5 minutes of no activity the doors lock and the lights go off.

So does HomeKit

I get a reminder if a door is left open I get a reminder if the windows are open and a storm is approaching.

Nice, but does it work?

if it gets too cold the heat tape turns on.

So can HomeKit

it is true home automation. you have choices.

Yes, Samsung or Samsung.

it's not perfect but it seems to work better then homekit does so far.

Have you tested it?

Plus it does it all from one app.

Like HomeKit?

I can setup routines and make things happen all from one app.

Again?

I bought smarthings long before samsung took it over. its not perfect but it works with old and new things.

So does HomeKit

it works with apple or android or on the web. you can write scripts for it too though I have never done so.

The App is so good, that has 2 stars in the AppStore, and 3.4 stars in Google Play.

Reactions: M. Gustave

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
home kit only works with home kit compatible devices. and last year you could do very little wit home kit and even getting hue to work was a challenge. before iOS 10 we could not get hue to work on two phones. to use home kit all my devices but hue would need a upgrade. Yes I have used homekit so far I have found better ways to do it. just getting senes from hue to work on both phones as not worked well. it is better now but hey it works right now and has for a couple years. home kit means you have to set things up from each app. home kit needs the hue app and others to operate.
yes reminders work I get them all the time got one on the outdoor gate so if it is left open I know. been doing it for two years.
I can't setup home kit from my phone because it originates on my wives because we could not get hue to share on both devices till just this year she is blind so it was easier for her to use siri to control hue. I can program smarthings from anywhere.
home kit requires all new hardware so unless I buy new it is not going to be doing much. last year there were not any door sensors motion sensors and such.
I will use what works best and right now it is smarthings. I don't have to buy new hardware to use it and I know how to program it. way too often apple has screwed things up and has limited choices. but if I need new it will be home kit compatible. but I will still have to buy a apple tv that I have no use for.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

HomeKit can do a lot of those things and has world class security to boot. If HomeKit can't do it, it's the 3rd party companies fault.

HomeKit has very strict standards and is the main reason some 3rd parties don't support it. IMO, if a company is unwilling to spend the money to make it HomeKit compatible then they don't deserve my money.

Reactions: nekonokami

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016

Is that a joke?

I tried HomeKit with a Schlage lock. It worked fine in the home, but was a disaster when trying to control anything from outside (and yes I have the apple tv and understand how to set up everything). I gave up on homekit and went with SmartThings and Nexia for different functions. Both work very well. Homekit will never be used in my home again. It was pure garbage when trying to use it from outside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.