Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of CES 2017, Synaptics today announced a new multi-factor biometric engine for use in smartphones, tablets, and notebook PCs. The new platform, made in partnership with facial recognition company KeyLemon, incorporates both fingerprint and facial recognition, allowing a mobile device to be unlocked in multiple ways depending on what's most convenient for the user.

The system also provides additional security for financial transactions and the unlocking of other sensitive information, as two modes of authentication can be required.

synapticsmultifactor.jpg
The Synaptics multi-factor fusion engine combines authentication scores from multiple biometrics to determine verification. This increases overall system security as both fingerprint and facial factors have to meet minimum threshold requirements before authentication. In addition, the fusion engine improves usability as lower individual verification thresholds still result in greater security.
The multi-factor fusion engine features anti-spoof technology, using AI to distinguish between fake and actual fingers. The facial recognition feature in the platform also checks for eye blinking and head movement to prevent spoofing. While Synaptics is focusing on finger and facial recognition at the moment, Synaptics VP of marketing Anthony Gioeli says future iterations will include "additional biometric and security factors."

Synaptics also recently introduced fingerprint sensors capable of scanning a fingerprint through glass, allowing for button-free display designs able to take advantage of fingerprint recognition functionality.

Apple is working on a similar technology for the iPhone 8, but while Synaptics is an Apple supplier, Apple likely has its own proprietary solution in the works.

Article Link: Synaptics Announces All-In-One Fingerprint and Facial Recognition System for Mobile Devices

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
It's clear something similar will be on this year's iPhone. In fact that image is roughly what the bezel-less iPhone 8 will probably look like.

Curious how other manufacturers will use this tech, considering apple was granted fingerprint through display patent last year.

Reactions: Avieshek

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Synaptics also recently introduced fingerprint sensors capable of scanning a fingerprint through glass

Don't fingerprint scanners already scan through glass? Like the one on the iPhone? Was it meant to say through a display?

Anyway, I think have dual biometric security measures would be awesome for a phone and damn near impossible to fool if implemented properly.

Reactions: Avieshek

camilaacolide

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2014
These marketing pictures are so crazy sometimes! Holding the phone at this angle, even if her face showed up on the screen, there should be a sky behind her head, not the horizon. It feels weird. And with the finger in that position, it's almost implied she is going to scan her fingerprint... with gloves! Mindblowing!

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
These marketing pictures are so crazy sometimes! Holding the phone at this angle, even if her face showed up on the screen, there should be a sky behind her head, not the horizon. It feels weird. And with the finger in that position, it's almost implied she is going to scan her fingerprint... with gloves! Mindblowing!
And the 2017 "overthinking" award goes to...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Haha... exactly. Looks like the marketing department skipped their meeting with the engineering department.

:D

kdarling

macrumors P6
Don't fingerprint scanners already scan through glass? Like the one on the iPhone? Was it meant to say through a display?

The RF capacitive scanner used for the current Touch Id requires an external transmit antenna ring.

Synaptics is doing it through glass with nothing on the outside. To do this, they just introduced an ultrasonic fingerprint scanner. One advantage is that it doesn't care if your finger is wet, as RF scanners do.

Note that this would only be under bezel glass. It is their first step before embedding it in a display.

Last edited:

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Who's to say shes not sitting, or laying, down like snowboarders do? Also, she's not using the fingerprint unlock. She's using the facial recognition. The glove is used to show you don't have to take off your gloves, or have special gloves, to unlock your phone and she's using facial recognition instead.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
How would you get back to the home screen without a home button? Assume the current app is using all the screen real estate to handle the controls of the game.

I'm sure Apple will think of a way round it. Maybe they will go for soft buttons - although I agree that the screen real estate is an issue that few seem to think about. Maybe they will put a button on the side of the phone, or the rear. Gestures. My bet is Force Touch, though.

I… what? Why? What problem is fixed by removing the Home button?

The amount of space taken up by the bezels (which are ginormous on the iPhone). Screen to bezel ratio has needed improving for a while, now. Better waterproofing. Potentially better fingerprint reading/more secure. Flush design.
[doublepost=1483451753][/doublepost]
Synaptic's biometric engine must be light years ahead of everyone else to scan fingerprints while wearing gloves. :rolleyes:

Iris scanning!

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
It's clear something similar will be on this year's iPhone. In fact that image is roughly what the bezel-less iPhone 8 will probably look like.

Here's to hoping that design is implemented across all models and not just the 5.5".

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
I hope it works better than Siri or else you will see people making different faces trying to get into their devices :).
I don't care. Siri? Nah. Facial Recognition? No way Jose. Don't need it. As long as it can be totally disabled.
Great for the Selfi-Snappers though.

The security implications of all this Facial Recog tech being out there is huge. I really don't want every man/woman and their dog photographing me and uploading my image to Facebook along with my name. Sorry,
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but that is the way I am. Like the majority of people in this world, I'm not (knowingly) on any Social Media platform and long may that remain.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

It's because if they used a real pic from that angle it would look more like this.

edb4a7c58c76722f071fab367b0118b445178b42651d2e3bec71af418a286fbf_1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.