Sync Chrome bookmarks on Mac with Safari on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3bs, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I prefer to use Google Chrome on my Mac and Safari on my iPhone. I know that Chrome is now available for iOS but I still want to use Safari. Is there a way to get the bookmarks to sync automatically? Maybe get Safari on my Mac to sync with Chrome on my Mac but I don't know how to set that up.

2. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

You'll have to export to html file and then import to safari. That's the only way I've found to do it. I wanted to use Chrome for iOS, but it wasn't very smooth.

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I did that for now but would prefer something automatic. Same here.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Xmarks

5. Gordonpn macrumors member

Gordonpn

How well does it work?

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

The bad thing about xmark is you have to turn off icloud bookmark sync on safari for mac, and google bookmark sync off on chrome. Otherwise it gets errors and sometimes you get replicate bookmarks or deleted bookmarks. I had my bookmark messed up couple times due to that. Luckely xmarks do have back up.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have been using Xmarks for years and have iCloud bookmarks setup without a single problem. I have an iPhone, iPad plus PC's of 1 Safari, 4 Chrome, and 3 IE's all Xmarks synced. As far as Chrome sync goes since you are using Xmarks I don't see a need to have Chrome Bookmarks synced since all bookmarks are synced by Xmarks. You can still have all your other Chrome settings synced.

8. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Thanks. I'll give it a try when I get home.

9. Gordonpn, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

Gordonpn macrumors member

Gordonpn

I just tried this method and I have a little issue.
    I use Windows, I used Xmarks to sync Chrome with Internet Explorer but my default browser is Chrome. Then I installed the iCloud Control Panel for Windows and indicated that I want to sync my bookmarks with Internet Explorer. So that means that my bookmarks on my iPad and iPhone would get sync with Chrome at the end of the process. But the problem is that it only seems to sync one way. All the bookmarks on my iPad and iPhone synced to my computer but the bookmarks on my computer didn't sync to with my iPhone and iPad...
    I don't think this is normal? Does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks.

Edit: So the bookmarks synced to my iPad but not my iPhone...

Edit 2: So it just decided to sync with my iPhone. Nevermind my post then lol