Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
I have an iPod touch with a zillion calendar appointments, and a new iPad with none. How do I keep these in sync via iTunes?

It would seem I need a third application on my pc (vista). However, iTunes tells me I have no supported calendar applications. I have something called windows calendar, which I never use, but apparently it's not supported by iTunes.

Seems I can keep my contacts in sync with the windows contacts application.

Any recommendations on a calendar application that I can get which will work seamlessly? I don't want to have some kludge solution every time I hook my iPad/pod up... I'm making calendar adjustments all the time.

ndalum

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Oregon
I have an iPod touch with a zillion calendar appointments, and a new iPad with none. How do I keep these in sync via iTunes?

It would seem I need a third application on my pc (vista). However, iTunes tells me I have no supported calendar applications. I have something called windows calendar, which I never use, but apparently it's not supported by iTunes.

Seems I can keep my contacts in sync with the windows contacts application.

Any recommendations on a calendar application that I can get which will work seamlessly? I don't want to have some kludge solution every time I hook my iPad/pod up... I'm making calendar adjustments all the time.

The best way is to have MobileMe. If not, do you have Outlook?

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
The best way is to have MobileMe. If not, do you have Outlook?
I have neither. I don't even need to edit the calendar on my pc. I only edit the calendar info on my iPad or iPod touch. Isn't there any very light, free application that I can install on my pc to act as a "mule" for the data exchange? I'm surprised that itunes can't act as that mule. I don't need any functionality on the pc, just want a simple data exchanger.

ndalum

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Oregon
I have neither. I don't even need to edit the calendar on my pc. I only edit the calendar info on my iPad or iPod touch. Isn't there any very light, free application that I can install on my pc to act as a "mule" for the data exchange? I'm surprised that itunes can't act as that mule. I don't need any functionality on the pc, just want a simple data exchanger.

Do you have gmail? I heard there is a way to sync the calendars with the google calendar.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Do you have gmail? I heard there is a way to sync the calendars with the google calendar.

Nope. Isn't the google calendar basically online, so i'm not sure how that'd work... I believe I need a calendar application locally on my pc.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Nope. Isn't the google calendar basically online, so i'm not sure how that'd work... I believe I need a calendar application locally on my pc.

It is possible to sync from your desktop computer to your google calendar via google sync, but that'll depend on what application you're using for your calendars.

If you only use the calendars on your iPhone, I think it is possible to upload all of the appointments from your iPhone onto a google account (if you have one), again via google sync.

Once you have synced your iPhone to google sync, then you can sync your iPad to google sync, and away you go.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
It is possible to sync from your desktop computer to your google calendar via google sync, but that'll depend on what application you're using for your calendars.

If you only use the calendars on your iPhone, I think it is possible to upload all of the appointments from your iPhone onto a google account (if you have one), again via google sync.

Once you have synced your iPhone to google sync, then you can sync your iPad to google sync, and away you go.

Ok, so google sync is a local application similar to iTunes? So I'd have to sync my devices twice each time I plug them in? That might work, but is rather inelegant...

Funny, I just spent some time trying to figure out how I might buy outlook, and couldn't figure out where on microsofts website one can do this, or how much it costs... It's almost like they try to make things hard over there.

Global2

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
It sounds like Google Calendar really is the solution for you. Sure, it has a web version. But you can sync all your calendars on just about all your devices devices directly to it, via your internet connection. So there is no need to sync devices one to another via cable. On an iTouch and iPad it is easy to set up and you sync via wifi. Once set up, you don't even have to do anything again. Just open iCal and the iPad and iTouch and they sync themselves, if your wifi connection is on. On my office Windows computer I use the Thunderbird calendar and it syncs to Google, too.

james1078b

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
You should be able to set up a GMAIL account using the Exchange Server settings for email (calendar) on you iPod Touch and iPad. Just follow the instructions on Googles website:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Hope that helps

It sounds like Google Calendar really is the solution for you. Sure, it has a web version. But you can sync all your calendars on just about all your devices devices directly to it, via your internet connection. So there is no need to sync devices one to another via cable. On an iTouch and iPad it is easy to set up and you sync via wifi. Once set up, you don't even have to do anything again. Just open iCal and the iPad and iTouch and they sync themselves, if your wifi connection is on. On my office Windows computer I use the Thunderbird calendar and it syncs to Google, too.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA

You can use the Google Sync tool over the air. (wireless or 3G) It can be almost total replacement for MobileMe. Its not perfect, it can't sync categories of contacts just the primary and can only sync 1 calendar. It basically emulates an exchange server.

Make sure you backup before you try it!! I can not stress this enough!

More information on the setup is at http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Google sync will work great for this. I sync between my iPad, iPod touch, windows mobile, and windows work pc (using google calendar sync app).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.