Sync iPhone 4S with Google?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wayneholbrook, Nov 20, 2011.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Good morning all,

I have an iPhone 4S that I'm trying to sync with Google. Calendars don't seem to be an issue, but when I load the gmail account to the iPhone, contacts is not an option to turn on. I'm not sure how to sync and keep synced my contacts with Google from an iPhone. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want contacts, you have to setup gmail via the exchange method (google it) there are some trade offs between using IMAP and exchange, too

3. mtptlyx macrumors newbie

mtptlyx

Hi
    I am currently on an iPhone 4 (waiting on my 4s) and syncing Google contacts seamlessly between my iPhone, iPad, office, & home PC's.

I don't think we're allowed to post links here, but if you Google "answer=138740", it will take you right to Google's own tutorial page for the iPhone.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

The solution is to add it as an Exchange account. First result if you Google "google exchange account". :)

5. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

6. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Set it up using Exchange protocol. I am using it across three iDevices right now, calendars, contacts, mail..... it's great.

7. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Thank you everyone who responded. That was a huge help. Not sure why providing that info would be against the rules. Doing so just helps out one another. I have both the iPhone and the android and like them both.

Thanks agin for helping out.

8. estockme macrumors regular

Does this mean one must use Exchange to keep their gmail contacts synced with their iphone contacts?

9. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

I set up the exchange and all seemed to work well. Then I tested it and entered a contact on the google site but after 30 minutes it's still not on my iPad or iPhone yet. I can't figgure out why?

----------

It's strange, if I enter a contact from the iPhone or iPad it goes into google, if I enter the contact in google it doesn't go into the iPhone or iPad. What gives?

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use Google with exchange. When I enter a new contact into Google via my MBP, it appears instantly on my iPhone, SGS II, and ThinkPad. It's Googles speed reliability & Gmail offline feature via Chrome, that I find so ideal. Set to push, my Gmail is also lighting fast. It's the peace of mind I have with these services that gives me no reason to use the unproven iCloud services.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble. I would go back and check the setup since it should be quite fast and easy.

11. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

It now works what I did on my Android phone I set up google on exchange just like I did on my iPhone. And now everything works like champ. You guys saved me soooo much time. Months of thinking about this it finally came to a successful end. Thanks again to everyone.

12. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Google's evolution of services have really become pretty useful. Back in the Windows Mobile days I used an archaic program called Gsync, that did a miserable job of keeping my calendars and contacts synched with Google.

Now that they've licensed the exchange protocol, it's so smooth.

Congrats ;)