Sync lossless without downgrading to 128k

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MoodyM, Nov 6, 2011.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I have my iTunes set to downconvert audio to 128k for my iPhone and iPad to save space.

However I'd like to sync Apple Lossless files to the devices as lossless, and only downconvert lossy files that are more than 128k. Possible?

Reason I ask is this - I bought a Pioneer AirPlay dock yesterday and would like to test the sound quality of Apple Lossless on a decent speaker like the Pioneer. I believe AirPlay supports streaming Apple Lossless.

I have obtained one album in Apple Lossless format, however I think I'm right in saying to get it onto my iDevice I'd have to untick the "cover higher nitrate songs to 128k", which would force iTunes to re-sync my entire 30GB music library just so I can test 1 album?

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

If you enable "manage music manually" you can just drop the album straight on to the iPhone, disabling that afterwards might have some ill-effects though, can't remember.

The 128k thing only applies as you sync more songs, it will not re-encode and re-sync your entire library, so just temporarily disable it.