Sync to "wrong" machine first?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diane143, Nov 1, 2011.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I live in an area that's been hit hard by the storm last weekend. I typically sync all my iPods through my G4 tower.

My iPhone is due this week. Can I get it working with my laptop and then re-sync to the tower when my power is restored?

Will any text messages I receive during that time show up in my laptop iTunes so I can move them over?

With my Touch I synced my Calendar with the laptop and everything else through the G4 but this is my first iPhone.

TIA and sorry if this is slightly confusing!

Diane

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

With iOS 5, you don't actually need a computer to get your phone up and working. If you haven't used your laptop previously to sync anything then there's no real need to plug it into there.

3. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet! So I can get the phone operational and just sync my contacts, pix and music later.

How about any text I get? They will always be on the phone then right?

I've only had dumbphones that only store 100 messages with no way to sync them anywhere, so I'm constantly forwarding them to email.

Thanks so much for the reply!

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, you can sync all that later. The nice thing about iCloud is that you can download a new iPhone app from your iPhone, or from any computer that you have registered to your iTunes account, and it will show up on your iPhone automatically. No manual syncing required. You can still manually sync if you want (for backups, etc.).

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

You will want to make sure to back up your phone prior to syncing it, that way your texts will be saved.

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Are you still able to download the latest iTunes on a g4 tower?

7. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. I haven't yet since I lost power but I can. Next update will likely boot me so I'll have to move everything over to the laptop at some point.

----------

Is that automatic? Everytime I plug in my Touch it backs everything up first, but I've had it since Xmas 2007 so I don't remember if it asked me when I first set it up or what.