syncing/backing up with icloud and photostream

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chrysalismoon, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Chrysalismoon macrumors newbie

I have just now decided to use iCloud after more than a year of having an iPhone so needless to say I'm new with it. Anyways a few questions for all you lifesavers out there.

Can I back up old photos on my iPhone to my photostream?
    And is iCloud really just a syncing device or a backup system so that I could comfortably delete photos from my phone? If so how then are they accessible?

The problem lies in the fact that my iOS is full and I must dispose of the 3,000+ photos I have on my phone. The catch? iPhoto isn't cooperating with this many images to upload, I don't have enough space on my computer anyways. (I do not have any of the updated software: newest iPhoto or OS :mad: )

Hopefully someof you can enlighten me. THANKS!

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

You could use an external HD, plug it into your computer, then start iPhoto by clicking on it while holding the alt/option key. Then iPhoto asks to select a photo library. In that window you can also choose to create a new library and then choose the external HD as the location.

With my 64GB MBA I keep all my photos on an external HD, so that's probably the best way for you too.

iCloud backs up photos off your camera roll, but if you delete the photos from your iPhone afterwards and back up again, I think the photos are removed in the cloud as well. Not sure though...