Syncing iPhone with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnnaCody, Aug 2, 2012.

1. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

I am finally going to get an iPhone.....very excited. However, I am still using Version 10.6.8 OS X on my MacBook Pro and don't really want to upgrade it.

Will I be able to sync my Address Book onto the iPhone?

Thanks,
    Anna

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. Address Book syncing doesn't require OS X 10.7+, but some other features do. This may change with the next iPhone model, though.

3. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Thank you for your reply. Will I be syncing using a cable attached to the Mac. Last time I did any syncing was between a PC and a SmartPhone using a cable.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The one thing you can't do with Snow Leopard is use iCloud.

So set up a Gmail account to do contacts and calendars. You don't even have to use the Gmail email if you don't want...you can just use the 'contacts' from it but keep using some other email.

Set up the gmail on your Mac in the system preferences so that your Mac's address book syncs with it. If you use Gmail for email, great. If not, turn off the email part of gmail but leave the other stuff.

Then sync the phone with the cable but DON'T turn on contacts or calendars in iTunes at this point. You don't want them to be syncing with the cable...you want them to be wireless so we're not going to set them up now.

So...

1) Use the cable to sync things like photos, music, apps, and videos. Get everything like that turned on.

2) Turn on the 'sync this phone over wifi' settings in iTunes while the phone is plugged in.

3) Un-plug it, and see that the phone still shows up in iTunes as long as you're on wifi. Now you can sync without plugging into the computer.

4) THEN set up Gmail (and/or any other email) on the phone itself. This will allow your contacts and calendars to update no matter where you are.

Don't use the 'Gmail' setting when doing it. Follow these directions:

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

5. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Thank you so much for the detailed directions. It looks complicated but I'm so new to having internet on a phone that I'm sure it's not once I get used to the basics.

I'm still very confused about the way Apple does their OS upgrades....the numbers and a different name with each one. I've tried sorting it out in google but just can't find a comprehensive explanation for the upgrades from 10.6.8. And from what I can tell there's been 2 or 3 in just 2 years? Ugh.

Also I've read so many people have problems when they upgrade.....goodness, dare I say, more then with any Window upgrades I've done in the past. This is my first Mac......switched in 2010. So if you can point me to something that would help me clarify this, I'd appreciate it. I have 4 GB of memory and the main complaint is the upgrades slow things down and memory is often given as a reason for that.

Thanks again, truly appreciate any help you give. :D

Anna

6. ben824 macrumors regular

OS X 10.5.x is Leopard

OS X 10.6.x is Snow Leopard

OS X 10.7.x is Lion (first to integrate iCloud features)

OS X 10.8.x is Mountain Lion

The last number in the version number that I have represented with a ".x" stands for what update version of that particular version of the OS. There is little difference between 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 for instance. They are often just updates to fix any bugs in the OS software and usually don't add anything major.

They generally get released every year or so. There are older versions of OS X with animal names but the 4 listed above would be the most relevant at this point.

Yes some people have had issues upgrading but remember more people are likely to get on the internet and rant and complain about problems than praise for something going right. I for instance had no problem on my early 2012 MacBook Pro. My bother with a late 2011 MacBook Pro also upgraded without a problem. My twin cousins both have early 2010 MacBook Pros upgraded too again no problems. I also have no complaints about speed. I was running Lion before and feel it is no different. My brother and cousins who came from Snow Leopard have no complaints either and we are all running 4 GB of RAM.

If you are getting an iPhone I highly recommend the upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion as it is only $19.99 (unlike the near $200 price tag of a Windows upgrade) and it will sync very well with your iPhone. I love how well it all works together and that it "just works" without elaborate setting up that you basically need a IT degree to figure out.

Hope some of that helps clear some things up!

7. AnnaCody, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Ben: Yes, now I understand the names with the OS numbers. Thank you !

And also for telling me about all the people who have done the upgrades with no problems. I guess I'll bite the bullet and do it today.

I do have to ask though.....these Apple upgrades are more like the Sp1 and Sp2's that Windows did with XP though, right? I really hate change.....will I see as much change as when Windows went from XP to Vista, etc? Which are the ones that cost several hundred dollars.

Oh and one more question: how the heck was I supposed to know about the upgrades? I pay close attention to the software updates but had no idea Apple was doing upgrades so often.

Thanks again,
    Anna

Ben....I just read your profile.....Cell tower technician...wow.....I have one sitting within feet of my office window.....I am not kidding.....if you Google 1047 Falmouth Road Barnstable MA and zoom in on the street view, you will see it. The way you guys go zipping up and down those things make me dizzy. There's an osprey nest on this one. The poop and stick debris is very annoying. My office is on the right. I can almost reach out my back window and touch it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what it's doing to my brain :eek:/