Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

CBC News

"If we can't kill them all, we'll starve them to death."

That's essentially what their intensions are. :cool:

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I was wondering when there would be a thread on this. It really is amazing to see all these mideast thugs who wont let go of power and control to the people. We see it over and over and over. What the heck is wrong with folks like Qaddafi or Assad or Mubarek or......These Tyrants understand 1 thing and thats a bigger stick then they have. Hope they all burn in hell if there is one.

Syria is making the people the enemy it appears. The last I heard Assad had the support of 40% of the people but since he controls the army and Syria is a police state Assad stays in power unless there is a invasion by other countrys to force him to stop the slaughter of his own people. Power and control corrupts everytime.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It is truly shameful how they are killing and torturing their own people. As with all the other muslims who have risen up against despotic leaders this year, they must succeed, there's simply no other option.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd point out that Obama called fro Weiner to resign but has done no such thing with Assad. :rolleyes:

5. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But apparently this issue is not controversial enough to make for some active discussion.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Syria a police state with old communist ties may be the reason that no one seems to care. .....its like who? and who cares?

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Maybe that's Gaddafi's fault. Tunisia and Egypt were inspiring and when things started up in Libya people were glad to think that he was on his way out too......and good riddance! But he's still there killing people while the west has gotten entangled in yet more fighting that isn't working out quite like was expected.

Nobody is talking about Yemen or Bahrain either.

8. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

All I know is Assad and his henchmen are a bunch of evil people that need to be killed.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes the Syrian regime is oppressive and I'd like to see it go. However, killing them may be overkill (sorry, that was pretty lame). The issue is the West can't intervene in too many Middle Eastern countries as it will upset the more moderate ones.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"Syria protesters 'shot outside mosque'"

today from aljazeera;

that's over 1400 killed by the government in the last several months

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm surprised it's that high. That's more than many democratic leaders. Where does that figure come from?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think it was from cnn's fareed zakarai last week, I may be wrong in fact im hoping its a lot less then this but I dont see mere protestors accomplishing much against a tyrant with tanks and a army.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

'Half a million' protest on streets of Hama

despite minimal attention in the West, the protests continue.....from aljazeera

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

" 'Scores dead' as Syrian tanks storm Hama"

weeks later and still not much attention being paid. From aljazeera;

more than 1,500 reported dead since protests started back in March

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Was watching "CNN Presents" tonight about this year long massacre happening in Syria ... the rest of the developed World should help put an end to this :(

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

There is no easy solution to this mess, years of super power diplomacy has set the stage for this tragic saga.
    The west (especially the USA) has such a bad name in the middle east. That if we help were to intervene, we only undermine the opposition. (as lackeys/lapdogs of the west).

17. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Oh its certainly controversial. Thing is, its not profitable for anyone to get involved.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I suspect the Russians are finding their arms sales to Syria to be quite profitable :p

19. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Which is why they are reluctant to condemn Assad, I guess. But theres no oil contracts to protect, which is why NATOs actions only go as far as feeble condemnation.

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It may be politically toxic as well. The American support of Libya was lambasted by most of the right (as Obama's every move is), and they may be calculating that inaction is better than action given there's no rallying cry for us to get involved.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The problem in this instance is not the US and its involvement or lack of it, it is the Russians and Chinese, who, as states made up themselves of many different and potentially revolting minorities, never signed up to allowing any state to mess with the internal affairs of another - despite the Russians in particular having a long and glorious history of subversion of other countries' politics. If this had been in the proposed UN Charter, they would never have joined up in the first place. If it were allowed, after all, how long before some adventurist US President would try to foment unrest in China or Russia in the guise of acting under the UN Charter? Government approval of "self-determination" only goes so far.

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Are you suggesting that the US isn't guilty of these type of actions as well?