Sys Backup of OS8.6, g4 to USB Fat32?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KítscheñÇinqµe, Oct 7, 2008.

1. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

Seems I need only copy system folder to bckup the os. However will there be problem copying to USB 2.0 external drive (fat32)?
    If I !#$@!# the OS, and then need to reinstall, how to do reinstall? I doubt i can drag the copy of sys folder from usb to a "blank" g4 hard drive. Would I make a boot disk?
    The g4 has cdrom and zip100, no floppy. I'd have to burn a boot cd on winxp. I've never read anything about bootable zip carts (so seems unlikely possible).

Minor endnotes:
    AGP G4, mfr 1999, so likely has USB 1.1 (or 1.0?), but this shouldn't matter. Just slower.

this is a $4.27 question, therefore deserving of at least $0.02 answers (thanks...)

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Alight, here's my $0.02 (i.e. mostly uninformed:D) answer:

Classic Mac OS seemed to be reliant IIRC on resource forks. Anyone here know if those get preserved in the move to the new filesystem? An answer to that question would likely go a long way toward confirming or denying the safety of such a backup method.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You would be better off formatting the external to HFS to better avoid problems. Also I do not think the System can be simply copied. As I recall just like in OS X their are hidden files in the root directory that must also be copied.

Also to be bootable the System Folder must be blessed.