System Administrator bought a new 27 5K 2TB Fusion i5 iMac, using productively

Discussion in 'iMac' started by funtoosh, Jul 3, 2016.

1. funtoosh macrumors newbie

Hey Guys
    I'm a MAC user for over 8 years now, but i recently bought a new 27" 5K iMAC with 2TB Fusion Drive Core i5

I'm loving the system so far, until now I was mostly using my 12" Macbook and prior to that 17" MBP and 20" iMAC

But the only problem that i'm facing with new iMAc is that the screen is too big (Initially i thought i'll enjou big screen bit it looks like after setting it up in my office and working on it all day i find the screen too big) and it's hard to even take the mouse cursor from one end of the screen to other end of the screen and how exactly do you guys use the whole screen productively.

I usually use it for:

1) Few SSH sessions via Terminal and SecureCRT
    2) Few browser tabs in Chrome and Safari
    3) Mail
    4) Skype
    5) Sometimes even few RDP Sessions.

Is there a way to automatically arrange all these applications on the screen so that i can switch between them easily ?

Thanks

2. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

This is how big computer screens are nowadays.

If you're having trouble seeing the cursor, you can try to enlarge it in System Preferences.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And you can also increase the cursor speed. At least in my opinion the default is always way too slow.

4. funtoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks increasing cursor speed helped

Also is there a way to tile all open application windows instead of arranging them all the time, as i plan to use the big screen in such a way so that i can monitor ssh sessions in one time and use another tile for mails another tile for browser etc...

Thanks

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

BetterSnapTool can do that.

6. SamPotts macrumors regular

SamPotts

El Capitan has a new feature where if you shake the mouse, the cursor enlarges. Pretty handy. I run an iMac 5K hooked up to two 27" TBD and often lose it :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a great feature that I often need to do, as the mouse gets lost so easily - at least for me it does :)

8. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

9. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I'm wondering if 'Desktop 1', 'Desktop 2', etc. would help here, too...?

10. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I use different desktops for different apps or situations and swipe between them using my TrackPad. This works well for me, but as you are hearing from others, there are many different ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Are you using a mouse or the TrackPad ?

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

It's funny how something that feels too small for some is too big for others. My dream computer would be a 32" or 37" iMac with purely desktop class components of the latest hardware.

Anyway I think you need to forget about the screen as 1 screen. Think of it as a canvas or desk :) and put programs in different locations on the screen... Only some programs such as photoshop, watching movies etc really benefit from the entire screen... There's multiple programs on the AppStore that gives you that Windows 10 corner snap arrangement feature if you need it. I recommend Moom.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd love to see a ginormous display from Apple, but not at an extremely high resolution either. The stuff on my 27" iMac is too small for my 50+ eyes :)

I have to scale it up a bit to make it useable for me

13. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

The 5k iMac with best fit size hasn't made icons and text any smaller than my previous iMac, just sharper., from what I can remember.

A 37" 8 k "retina" iMac. It would be enough room for desktop components without heat problems as well. So 8 core 6900K, gtx 1080 and 2tb ssd and 128gb ram... That would have been a sweet machine :D... Not very cheap but I would not been able to resist getting that. Sadly just a dream, it will never happen...

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

15. funtoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, it helped a lot and now I'm much more comfortable with my new iMAC