System ID file…where is it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CWillis, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CWillis macrumors newbie

I am trying to locate the System ID file. I am going to do a clean install of 10.5. I know that once you erase the hard drive it takes everything with it. So I want to locate the file that has the serial number and all of that system info when you click on "about this mac."

Anyone know where this is located?

Thanks

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

In firmware? :)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The serial number won't change with an erase and reinstall. If you want to save it though, from System Profiler so can save it all.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm not so sure we should tell you where it is, either, as editing this can be used to scam someone should the computer be resold.

I'm certainly not insinuating that that's what you're doing, but you're also not the only one reading these forums, either. :p *shifty eyes*

5. CWillis thread starter macrumors newbie

so i can save it from the System Profiler, back it up, then put that saved file into the System Profiler folder. Then when I go to "about this mac" it will still show the serial. This is for my own personal use. I know some of you are law abiding citizens, as am I. Nothing but good intentions here.

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

You probably don't need to back it up. It'll probably be there after a reinstall.

I say "probably" because we need to be sure what exact number it is you
    are talking about before we say "certainly".

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

What are you talking about? Just wipe the drive and reinstall. Nobody does anything like you are talking about. This is completely unnecessary.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Like I said, the serial number won't change just because you erase the HD. Plenty of people have done this with no issue.