System info shows a lot of memory taken up by audio, video, etc but none in finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liamgaul, Sep 9, 2012.

1. liamgaul macrumors newbie

I'm brand new to Mac's. Very good with PC's but don't know my way around these machines very well. Bought a brand new pro today and started to do migration assistant at startup to transfer my itunes music and films from my windows pc to my mac over my network. I left it for 15 minutes and the bar didn't even move (transferring like 60gb) so I thought screw this and cancelled it on my pc (can't cancel on mac) and that canceled it on my mac too. I started over to just do my music as that's all that I really needed (10GB). Again it took too long so I canceled and thought I'd do it later and continued to set up my new mac. I then went into about this mac and under storage it says I have a load of files (below) but I can't find anything in Finder so where are they and are they some of my files that transferred over before I cancelled or are they system files (seems excessive to me to have over a gig of audio)[​IMG]
    Also when I go into finder and show all my files all I can see is this
    [​IMG]

so where are all them files?

Not tech savvy with Mac at all btw but I will be soon as I learn fast and am generally very good with computers. I think I may be being stupid and they are all just system files but it seems a lot to me to have 1gb of audio files just for notifications and such and couldn't find any videos. It's probably me being paranoid because I canceled migration assistant

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity