Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
I have been having this issue since I updated to 10.3.5. The right hand side of the menu bar at the top of my screen, with the clock, user menu, and display settings, has frozen. It is unresponsive. The clock doesn't update. I get a spinning beachball when I move my cursor to that portion of the screen. The only way to fix it is to reboot. Any ideas to remedy this?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
GovornorPhatt said:
I have been having this issue since I updated to 10.3.5. The right hand side of the menu bar at the top of my screen, with the clock, user menu, and display settings, has frozen. It is unresponsive. The clock doesn't update. I get a spinning beachball when I move my cursor to that portion of the screen. The only way to fix it is to reboot. Any ideas to remedy this?

Do you have an iPod? I have a 40GB 3rd generation iPod that is notorious for locking up my mac in the manner you're describing. It happens every couple months or so. Can't figure out if it's an issue with the iPod itself or the firewire on my Power Mac. Unplugging the iPod unfreezes the clock.

On the other hand, if the trouble only started when you did a system update, have you tried repairing your permissions?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
GovornorPhatt said:
I had this problem too - it hasn't come back since I unplugged my iPod. Maybe it's a firmware bug in the iPod?

nbaker756

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2004
keeps happening

i have the same problem, even when my ipod is unplugged. i called tech support several times and they dont seem to have a clue whats happening. i did a clean install but then my dad did software update and the problem came back. must be an apple update

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
Me too.

i have the same problem. I also have an iPod (3G 15gig). I seem to experience freezing at any time, whether the iPod is plugged in or not. I even get it when running on just battery with nothing else plugged in, so it might not be anything to do with that, I really can't say for sure. Talk about annoying though.
I had a doctors appointment an hour away from home which i was late for. I was on my PB and time seemed to stop altogether... oh wait, my clock was just frozen. Dang. :mad:

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
I have gotten this exact problem for quite some time, and it only would happen when my iPod was plugged in.

The scary part is it's happened no matter what iPod is plugged in. I've had a 1st and 3rd gen, both replaced over 4 times each due to various issues (including this one), and they've all still done it. Replaced FireWire cables, Docks, everything. No rhyme or reason to it. This problem's dated back to late 2002 for me. It's definitely gotten less frequent, but it's still really, really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.