"System Preferences" defies the principle of OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ARF900, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

The principle difference between OSX and windows is that in windows, a window is an application, but in OSX, windows are documents. This is in my mind the principle difference between the two and something many new mac users struggle with "I pressed the red X why is it still running?"

OSX uses applications to display documents, so you can use one copy of an application to display multiple documents, where as in windows, you need to launch multiple copies of the same app too view separate documents.

However, it has just dawned on me that, System Preferences, is its own app, you do not need to press CMD Q to quit system preferences, closing the windows quits the app.

Why do you think this is?

/discuss

2. chriszzz macrumors 6502

You cannot have multiple instances of System Preferences running. There is absolutely no need for the application to run when the window with the actual content is not open.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Because System Preferences, like iPhoto, does only need that one window.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically in OSX if an application can have multiple windows, the X closes the open window only

If an application can only have one window, the X closes down the application

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

System Preferences is a single-window app, like iPhoto. Once you close the only window, the app quits because you can no longer do anything with that app.

6. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

Never realized that iPhoto does the same thing.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are quite a few apps that will do this.

8. Buzz Bumble Guest

As an aside, System Preferences in older version of Mac OS X didn't quit when you closed the window. I've got 10.2 installed on my biege G3 PowerMac (so I can, sort of, access the Internet), and System Preferences doesn't quit when you close the window.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Among them: Dictionary and Calculator.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your initial premise is wrong. In Windows, a window isn't an application. For example, in Windows you can have multiple Word documents open simultaneously, each in a separate window. Each window is a document, not an application.

Again, this is not true. You are not launching several copies of Word to open multiple documents. You have one copy of the app running, with multiple documents open.

The only difference you're seeing is that when you close the last document in Windows, it also closes the app. So if you have 2 Word documents open, if you close them both, it closes Word. OSX doesn't assume that because you close all documents that you're necessarily ready to close the app. You may have wanted to start a new document after closing the others. Therefore, in Mac OS X, with any app that is capable of multiple document windows, closing the last one will not close the app. If an app only functions with one window, closing the window also closes the app.