System Storage usage doubled today. Why?

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I have a Mac Mini with a 500gb Samsung SSD that I put in it earlier this year. Today it appears that my system storage doubled from around 30GB to 65GB. What would cause this to suddenly double in usage? I am using Time Machine with an external network drive and I've read a little about local snapshots could be taking up space, but I thought that was only on notebooks not on desktops, so I don't think that is the issue. I have plenty of space left on the drive, but I'm curious as to what could cause my system storage files to double. Is there a way to clean a Mac like a Windows machine?

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Yes Time Machine is on and backing up, but I thought that the local snapshots were only done on laptops, not desktops.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Ok. You know I just thought of something else, I just updated a copy of Windows 10 in VirtualBox to the Fall Creator's Update. I did run disk cleanup in Windows when it was done and deleted the update and windows.old folders, but I noticed the jump in system storage after I had done that upgrade. The weird thing is that it is a 500GB SSD and it says that I am using about 114GB, but then says I have about 419GB free and the Windows VM folder reports about 30GB in size which is what it was before the update. So maybe it's an error in reporting from the Mac. I don't know.
[doublepost=1509039840][/doublepost]One other question. I don't care about local snapshots so is there any reason not to disable them or will there be any detrimental effects by doing so?