System Update Sizes

Do you think system updates could be smaller?

  • Yes. They're friggin' HUGE!!!

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Maybe, but I'd rather Apple spend time on other things.

    Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No. Quit your System 7 on a floppy whining.

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I would rather have arn hand-deliver each update to me.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    8

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
522
1
I'm wondering. Are there any full-time, 56K modem users actively participating on these boards?

If so, how the heck do you keep your software up-to-date in our land of 20+MB update files? Do you just not update? Does Apple still have a program where you can get these periodically on CD?

Don't you miss the days when the *entire* OS fit on a single floppy disk?

Seriously, broadband penetration isn't *that* high here in the US. Maybe Apple should get their engineers working on a good diff utillity for sending updates that are really updates rather than complete system component replacements.
 

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
203
0
South Dakota
56K MEGA downloads

I usually start the update just before I go to bed. Otherwise it kills a whole evening of quality time with my Mac.
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,897
0
Metairie, LA
I have dsl at work & home...

my advice to u is to start the download at night.....then go to sleep....it'll be finished when u wake up in the morning...
 

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
658
0
I have no need for software updates.

I run OS9, and i have the software i will ever need.


Apples website is pretty good on a 56K really. I just leave it on over night, then back it up on cd.
 

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
522
1
just asking...

Don't get me wrong... I have a cable modem. I'm just feeling sorry for the more bandwidth-limited users out there.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I have a 56K modem and the most I can download at any 1 time about 25Mb! My ISP resticts online time to 2 hours per connection! Anybody know of a download manager for the mac? (Similar to Gozilla on PC??) Anyway, I just leave things downloading in the background.
 

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
227
0
Re: 56K MEGA downloads

Originally posted by spinner
I usually start the update just before I go to bed. Otherwise it kills a whole evening of quality time with my Mac.
it wont take you a night to download a 20mb file. At 5k per second it will take you an hour and 30 minutes, TOPS.


Dualburn001
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Re: Re: 56K MEGA downloads

Originally posted by dualburn001


it wont take you a night to download a 20mb file. At 5k per second it will take you an hour and 30 minutes, TOPS.


Dualburn001
That is only true if you have a rock solid connection to the internet, and you don't get ANY speed fluctuations. How many people have been able to download a 20MB file (caps please since small letters have different meanings) in an hour 30???

I have seen a 5MB file take close to an hour when there was heavy traffic on the site, or when there was a storm somewhere between me and where the server was (physically).
 

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
227
0
Re: Re: Re: 56K MEGA downloads

Originally posted by AlphaTech


That is only true if you have a rock solid connection to the internet, and you don't get ANY speed fluctuations. How many people have been able to download a 20MB file (caps please since small letters have different meanings) in an hour 30???

I have seen a 5MB file take close to an hour when there was heavy traffic on the site, or when there was a storm somewhere between me and where the server was (physically).
true true
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.