T/C and Airport Express, one at 2.4 and other 5 mhz?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pugsly, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Pugsly macrumors newbie

Pugsly

I currently run a time capsule at 2.4 MHz so it can be used by the one and only g hardware on my network. (my ipod Touch). I want to extend my network and am going to be adding an airport express. Is it possible to run the T/C at 5 MHz and run the airport express at 2.4? I figure if I can use the t/c at 5 that will solve the distance and speed issues I am running into, but than I loose the ability for the ipod touch to connect. That is the reason to run the airport express at 2.4. Running the a/e wired from the t/c is not problem, but would prefer to extend it wirelessly.

Keith

2. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

You need to experiment around because there are a couple of unknown factors, you will need to determine (to some extend). (a) the level of 2.4Ghz interference in your airspace (ie frequency pollution), (b) the extend of range your routers can do across walls and distance.

Doing 802.11n @ 5Ghz are great for new MackBooks especially the AIR. But iPhone and lesser device cannot "see" it. ie more secure and use WPA2 always.

The AE can be set to b/g @2.4Ghz but it needs to be centrally located to get the max range. If your g range is still poor. I recommend you get a cheap NetGear router to add to the coverage. You can use different SSDs rather than extend it. Your device knows how to switch them automatically.

I use TC @5Ghz for my AIR and MBP downstairs, an Asus 700 NAS/Router for g only, locked to ch 11. Upstairs a NetGear 624 on g only locked to ch 9. This covers all of my house all the way to the gate!.:D

3. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Hi,

That's exactly what I do. I have the AEBS connected to the internet, my NAS & TV and set to run at 5Ghz which I connect my MBP using 802.11n and a Viao SZ running on 802.11a. The last LAN port is connected to an Express running at 2.4 Ghz set to be 802.11n/b/g compatible. The Express is used for an iPod Touch, Wii and visitors with 802.11g and is also connected the house music system.

Both are set up to be completely separate wireless networks and have the same name with 5.0 or 2.4 suffixes i.e. select create network in the options and then choose the right frequency settings (5 or 2.4 each with compatibility to a or b/g) for each device. The AEBS should be set to distribute the internet connection and the the Express set to bridge mode.

This gives me a fast (lowest 270Mbs) connection for the Mac and a reliable 56Mbs for everything else over most of the house. I have the Express as central to the areas where we use the connections. I haven't checked on ranges but I guess it will be limited with the 2.4 connection as there are about 10 others running on 2.4 nearby.

Hope it helps.

ps have a look at this for more detailed help

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf

4. Pugsly thread starter macrumors newbie

Pugsly

thanks for the info guys!!!!!!

so i am assuming that the express can "receive" the 5 mhz signal from the T/C
    and than rebraodcast the signal at 2.4mhz with a differant SSID?

5. vorkorsigan macrumors member

I don't think so. Tried to do that 1st with no success so have them connected via wire, if you get it to work I would be interested to know how.

Thanks