T-mo vent.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slabwax, Aug 15, 2012.

1. slabwax macrumors member

So I just found out that somehow I ended up signing up for an extra year longer then I thought i had with T-mo. As far as a phone company i'm satisfied with them, but the no I-phone policy is getting more then old. I ether buy a full price I phone or continue to nurse my old 3g phones until the end of time. I'm thinking that I just might cut my losses and pay the ETF. But that is painful for three lines. It looks like T-mo won't be ready until mid next year with the LTE roll out so at best another year without an Iphone on t-mobile. Then we'll have to wait until the next buyer's take over is complete. Here's to waiting until the 5s.:mad:

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

welll i dont think its T-mobiles fault they dont have the iphone. Didnt the CEO said he wants the iphone but apple wouldnt make a deal with them? idk

3. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

That in fact might be the case. But t-mo's system is not compatible with the Apple frequencies and T-mo is a little late to the dance trying to get onboard with the proper spec.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think part of the reason T-mobile is building their HSPDA+ network is so that they are more iPhone compatible.

I would stay tuned to see if they get support this September. If not, you can always buy one unlocked.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It is Tmobiles fault.
    They just wont pay the price for it one way or another.
    Apple will play ball with anyone that's willing to write them a big check but being the only carrier still left with no iphone is costing Tmobile lots of subscribers.
    Not sure how long they will stay afloat without offering the iphone officially.

6. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

I could just buy an unlocked phone. But that will cost 650 minimum. Or cut my looses eat the 200 ETF pick up a new contract and buy a new Iphone for $200. I'm still ahead of the game $250 per line.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

But then you are locked into a contract. I just paid $550 for a new unlocked 4 and I am perfectly happy. I rarely need data when I am away from wifi so paying $25-30/mo for data is a total waste for me.

8. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Yeah.. Unfortunately t mobiles data service doesn't meet apples demands. I'd say pay the fee, get on a network like AT&T or Verizon, AT&T obviously cheaper, and I'm NY it works perfectly fine. Also if you get the phone when it comes out you will be right on cycle with their future iPhones! :D

9. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

And you have a better network for the iPhone (at least 3G)... and possibly LTE... depending on your location and which carrier you chose/

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Ok.

You just made it sound like you're happy with Tmobile. Plus, you aren't taking into consideration the fact that switching to another carrier will increase your bill by 24 months * the bill increase for that two year period. I have a feeling switching to Verizon or AT&T will cost you more than $10 a month than T-Mobile.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    But to some people that increase is worth it not having to deal with 2G edge data and going to an LTE device.

12. kyellowness macrumors regular

Is it just me or does TMobile seem like they're always late to the race?

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

True, but T-mobile's HSPDA+ rollout now and LTE rollout in the coming months will alleviate this.

Truth. That's what you get with a budget network.

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not with the sidekick ;)

haha

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt their HSPA+ rollout will reach everyone and about LTE not even sure if it will be compatible with the next iphone.

16. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

Bingo!! So I could buy two unlocked Iphones and still be on 2g/edge (that part doesn't bug my to often) Or go with a new carrier get discounted phone and maybe spend a few dollars a month more. It's not like t-mo plans are free. I doubt it would cost me more than $20 a month more for two lines. I already pay around $170 a month before tax and fees.

17. Cricketman macrumors regular

Quick tip if you are switching providers - I cut my T-Mo contract early and AT&T picked up the ETF fee. It was a pretty hefty amount too (3 lines).

They also waived activation fees. You just gotta know how to haggle!

18. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thats great to know.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

What is the breakdown of that $170 if I may ask? I currently have 5 lines on t-mo (2 with data) and pay about $220/mo total (grandfathered plan, the closes current plan is about $250). I'm curious how you can possibly spend that much for only 2 phones.

20. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

My bill for three phones (one phone only unlimited talk) is $201 all said and done. That third line is $30 a month. So if I add lets say 25% tax to that, it makes it $40 a month. That still leaves me at $160 a month. And I have been with T-mo from day one Ex Voice Stream customer. I was even told today that this is as cheap as it comes if I want a possible phone upgrade. I was still hoping for a iphone upgrade sometime in the next decade. And If I change my plan at this time I'm on the hook for two more years.

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Who knows what they're doing with the network compatibility of the next phone. They could still technically add support for T-mobile's pre-HSPDA+ 3G.

:confused:

22. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

At this point i highly doubt that Apple will give them a phone if the network can't handle the complete package. And they are not just going to give them last years model. I hope I'm wrong here!

23. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

gross, I did not know they were still making those things. :p

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think Apple is going to any measure to compete with Android. Giving T-mobile (they indirectly already are through the unlocked version) the iPhone doesn't hinder Apple. Apple is still selling them full MSRP, so it's not their fault if T-mobile goes under.

They modified the iPhone 4 last year to make it a world phone and for Sprint compatibility, I'm sure they will lightly refresh the internals of the 4, 4S and make the new iPhone compatible with all four carriers.

Not saying they will, but it isn't necessarily a bad idea :)

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it happens it will only happen if Tmobile pays them to do it.
    Apple wont go out of their way to make it compatible with Tmobile unless they sign a multi year and multi million dollar deal.
    Apple made it compatible for Sprint but you saw that Sprint had to pay an arm and a leg for that.