Carrier T-Mobile’s app-based eSIM service launching on iPhone by the end of the year, report says

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BasicGreatGuy, Dec 6, 2018.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the report is true, prepaid customers will be able to make use of the eSIM feature through the upcoming T-Mobile app. it is unknown if the alleged app will also be available to post-paid account holders.

"According to PCMag, T-Mobile plans on doing eSIM slightly differently than AT&T or Verizon, at least for its prepaid customers. According to the report, T-Mobile will be offering an app-based solution, allowing users to add a prepaid line easily and effortlessly add to their iPhones with eSIM technology."

https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/06/t-mobile-esim-app/

2. Synomenon macrumors 6502

They better not cripple eSIM on the 2018 iPhones by allowing ONLY pre-paid accounts to be setup on the eSIM...

3. crawfish963 macrumors 6502a

crawfish963

Just finished a chat with a T-Moblie rep. She stated that eSim support will be coming to all (pre and post-paid) customers. FWIW.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2018 ---
    I'll admit, the recommendation that they activate with other carriers portion is not attractive...

Attached Files:

4. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

If you’re a person that requires two phone numbers/carriers then the rep was just suggesting for the time being to activate eSIM for the other carrier while leaving T-Mobile as the physical SIM. Seems like a reasonable recommendation to me.

5. crawfish963 macrumors 6502a

crawfish963

Unfortunately, both my work and person lines are T-Mobile lines. The rep was aware of this prior to her suggestion, to give some context.

6. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Ah, given that context I now see what you mean. Not the best idea to recommend to a current customer to switch away in order to make use of the eSIM option. Hopefully they’ll get eSIM support soon then. For me I would be using Verizon on my eSIM with a physical SIM from T-Mobile so that’s why I felt their comment was reasonable. Different use cases though!

7. blaine07 macrumors 68000

That suggestion wouldn’t work for me. Work sim on corporate account and they wouldn’t go esim for me. Doh