iPad mini T-Mobile 200MB month Starter Data Only = Not Free for lifetime of device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CosmicBubu, Dec 2, 2013.

1. CosmicBubu, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

CosmicBubu macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Been following this forum for quite some time now and finally received my iPad rMini. Read and heard about the awesome T-Mobile Free 200MB for life plan and decided to sign up for it.

I ordered a Verizon version of the iPad , but popped in a T-Mobile sim into it. Fired it up, turned off wifi and turned on Cellular service and clicked on the cellular acct link to set up my T-Mobile account on the iPad.

I noticed that after I signed up, I received an email from T-Mobile titled:

T-Mobile Confirmation: Promotional Pass

Dear Customer,

Your new free Mobile Internet data is now active on device #XXXXXXXXXX, and you can enjoy up to 200 MB of high speed data for use until 01/01/2014. To manage your account or purchase additional high speed data, visit http://mim.t-mobile.com

Now....this does not read to me like having free 200MB for the lifetime of the device as many of you wrote about.

AM I understanding the email wrongly? Or will I be having this 200MB for the lifetime of the device and that I will receive an email above for 200MB that will end and recycle at the start of each month?

When I logged into my T-Mobile account, to see the account overview, I see:

Monthly Plan= Mobile Internet 200MB month Starter Data

Thanks for helping me clarify.

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Got mine on Nov 1st. Received the same email. Dec 1st got an email from TMo saying the same thing with dec 30 end date.

3. CosmicBubu, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

CosmicBubu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply. SO does this mean the 'promotional pass' of 200MB is renewed each month with the 'end' date for that month? No where does it state in any of my emails about the free 200MB for the lifetime of the device as printed on so many sites.

This seems kinda confusing to me.:confused:

I thought I saw a youtube video of some guy showing a T-mobile activation page of his ipad which shows an 'end' date way way into the far future for his 200MB free plan.

Did anyone else also have the same email as me and the Capt who has been enjoying the free 200MB data since this was launched? Thanks for chiming in.

4. laela macrumors regular

laela

Did you get a T-Mobile SKU iPad or something else?

Thanks!

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

T-mobile SKU. Bought it from the apple store.

6. laela macrumors regular

laela

Thanks for the quick confirmation!

7. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

The email isn't worded very well. Next month you'll get a similar email with next month's date. I got my second email yesterday. The plan automatically rolls over each month. No worries...you'll get your free data for "life" or until tmobile discontinues the offer.

8. laela macrumors regular

laela

Part of the confusion is that other folks received an email that welcomed them to free service until 2094 or something similar (i.e. explicitly "for life").

9. wxman2003 Suspended

I think some lawyer at T-Mobile saw that and didn't want lawsuits if they did discontinue the offer before 2094. With the email every month saying you are good for another 30 days, it protects them if they drop the offer.

10. CosmicBubu thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow...Thanks guys for all the feedback. I am guess the wording was indeed changed to protect themselves. But the email is not very clearly worded and will cause confusion to many about the validity of the free 200MB plan for the lifetime of the device. The inclusion of the word 'promotional' in the title makes it mean that it will only be for a short period and when the user logs in to their account to see '200MB mo Starter data' will also be confusing as 'Starter data' might lead to mean its only for the current month.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

My confirm showed it's only good for a month, but it renewed at the end of that month.

Never got he 2099 email.

However, when u sign up, they say "for life" (when u activate ur sim on ur ipad). So I took a screenshot of that. If they ever decide to renew, I'll at least have some evidence.

I encourage everyone to take screenshots at the tmobile website. If there is a class action later, we need evidence. It's a pretty big deal since a lot of people, like myself, bought the cellular version just for this deal. It's over 100 more so tmobile would be liable for inducing those purchases with its ads. FTC fines.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Excellent when is there is a class action after like a decade, you will sure enjoy that check for $20 after inflation!

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Lol. Yeah. Payouts are never good for consumers. But law firms win big, and the companies are penalized which is what is important.