T-Mobile 3G on iPhone 4S..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Oct 6, 2011.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

So, we all know that there's no official support for T-Mobile's network if you buy an iPhone of any variety. However. Will the iPhone 4S on T-Mobile's network be 3G compatible finally? I read somewhere that the cellular chipset in the 4S supports the AWS bands that make up the 3G network, but they might not be enabled. An older snapshot of the (then prototype) iPhone 4S (N94) shows it as working on T-Mobile's 3G network.

I am switching from a iPhone 3GS with GoPhone service to T-Mobile, and I'd like to wait to see if it supports 3G via jailbreaking. Although if they aren't unlocked, I'll get the 64GB 4S with AT&T, then pay the ETF fee after a month, then jailbreak/unlock and use with T-Mobile.

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

The actual chipset does support t-mobiles bands but the software is only setup to it's brand of 2G. All previous iPhones didn't support tmobiles 3G with either software or hardware. All you can hope is that tmobiles bands are used in another country so software support will be added to ios5. Then some hacker will be able to unlock it for you.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

T-Mobile USA required both 1700/2100 AWS for 3g speeds in the USA.

No iphone supports those bands.

No software update will ever change a software limitation.

4. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

When the next iPhone was still a prototype, there were leaked shots of an N94 iPhone functioning on the T-Mobile 3G network.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Just go with AT&T bro, make your life easier, stop speculating.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

T-Mobile in Germany works just fine an has the same carrier logo as T-Mobile USA. ;)
    T-Mobile USA... not happening as the MDM6600 does not support AWS bands.
    Granted we still don't know what radio will be in the 4S, but it is assumed it will be the MDM6600.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you looked at the bands supported by the iphone, you'd know there's no chance of 3G data on t-mobile. Jeez, why can't people spend the five seconds reading the apple tech specs page? :rolleyes:
    Don't count on software unlocking your phone. The dev team hasn't unlocked a phone after ios 4.0.2. Also, there's no guarantee that a gevey sim would work either. You should plan on buying a factory unlocked phone.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I actually posted a thread not too long ago regarding running the 4S on T-Mobile USA 3G and I got some good info. I'll quote the post that helped me understand, but I'll link the thread too in case the quote doesn't make sense out of context.

Thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1240905&highlight=

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ good info, but I'm yet to see T-Mobile 3G work anywhere in California! Hopefully soon...:cool:

10. ThomasJL, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

MDM6600 supports AWS.

The MDM6600 does support AWS bands. See this thread for proof: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1092599

I have no idea whether or not Apple chose to enable that support, though.

11. Justim macrumors 6502

Why is it that AT&T was smart enough to pick the best/most commonly used/most upgradable frequency, but can't get grasp the concept of training their employees.

Sheez.

12. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

T mobile are doomed

You may want to try sprint heard their priced are good in the us

13. honeychurch2 macrumors newbie

In another thread, rjohnstone posted that T-Mobile Germany uses 1900/2100 Mhz for 3G, so I guess one could take advantage of that there, with an unlocked iPhone. Not that that is very helpful for those who don't travel to Germany a lot...

T-Mobile USA and T-Mobile Germany seem to be quite different. Where did you find that info, rjohnstone?

14. Drewbster macrumors member

First off if you knew anything about the N94 protype you would have seen that a +1(408) area code number listed on the phone as it was "proprietary."

+1 is the USA's country code.

Second off, the iPhone 4S has the MDM6610 chipset an upgrade from MDM6600.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=MDM6610

15. rohitp macrumors regular

rohitp

I've been getting 3G data with T-Mobile on my iPhone 4S in many spots around Austin for the past three weeks: MoPac, Congress & Riverside, Hwy 290 (Ben White) near S Lamar and more. I even received a FaceTime call driving on MoPac near 35th. It seems like when data switches from 3G to Edge or vice-versa, it goes dead for just a bit. Hope it keeps expanding; it's not around my house as yet. :)