• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
I was at T-Mobile the other day (confirming my AT&T Iphone 4 was unlocked) and I inquired about T-Mobile's current 2G service and the up-coming 4G service.

The TM rep said my iphone would run at 3G speeds if I was in a TM 4G service area. I find this hard to believe and am under the impression my Iphone will only run at 2G speeds (even when in a TM 4G area).

Any opinions?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I was at T-Mobile the other day (confirming my AT&T Iphone 4 was unlocked) and I inquired about T-Mobile's current 2G service and the up-coming 4G service.

The TM rep said my iphone would run at 3G speeds if I was in a TM 4G service area. I find this hard to believe and am under the impression my Iphone will only run at 2G speeds (even when in a TM 4G area).

Any opinions?

If you want t mobile get an unlocked nexus or the t mobile galaxy siii.

Comment

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB

Any opinions?

As they upgrade their network, you will start to find 3G in more areas that the iPhone can utilize. There was a news story on Macrumors about it, but I cannot seem to locate it at the moment.

Comment

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Better off with Cricket or even Virgin, TMobile is a joke. They came up with the wifi calling feature because its nearly impossible to get service in your house.

Comment

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
The rep did not know what they were talking about. The iPhone will run at 2g at all times on Tmobile no matter what kind of area you are in, with the exception of the VERY FEW spots available where 3G service has been refarmed to the 1900mhz spectrum.

Comment

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
So instead of using the phone he likes and already owns he should spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new device? :rolleyes:

OP, the rep you spoke to was wrong. T-Mobile's current HSPA+ ("4G") rollout doesn't support the iPhone's 3G, but it supposedly will by the end of the year: http://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-HSPA-network-to-support-the-iPhone-by-year-end_id29897

They will never have full coverage of any of the current iphones. The experience he will have on t mobile with the iphone will be pretty crappy compared to a phone that actually supports the AWS spectrum.

Comment

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
TMobile will have 1900 3G coverage (iPhone compatible) in 4G areas by the end of the year.

Testing is being done in various spots around the country now and rumor has it Boston will be lit up at the end of July.

Comment

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Last edited:
Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry for the confusion. The TM rep did say: "Your Iphone 4 will run at 3G speeds when the 4G rollout occurs at the end of the year".

I was under the impression a 3G phone would not work on a 4G network...

Tmobile and AT&T call their HSPA+ 4G.

They really need to work on training their sales reps. When you get bad info like this it ends up feeling like they lied to make the sale, even though it was probably honest ignorance. Still, it gives the customer an extremely bad impression of the company.

True.
Sounds more like he was going for a quick sale. Sure, tell them whatever they want to hear kind of thing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.