T-Mobile and other retailers to sell Apple Watch in the future?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BeyondtheTech, Apr 1, 2015.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

When T-Mobile introduced Equipment Installation Plans (EIPs) for accessories a while back, I was hoping that Apple would be letting them sell their watches. After all, you can now pick up a Moto 360 or a Samsung Gear and pay without interest over 24 months at your local T-Mobile store, making it even more enticing than any credit card financing offer.

With no third-party retailer making any mention, or hearing any sort of news or rumor anywhere by retail employees, I suspect Apple wants to make their Watch sales exclusive for their initial experience, and also to gauge interest and other metrics.

I guess if you're patient, you could just wait it out, and eventually they will carry it, but if you're on this thread, it's likely you'll be preordering or buying one within the first day or week of its release.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't understand the incentive of a wireless carrier to offer 24 months of interest free financing for a device that makes them no money. Are you sure you don't need to buy a phone with the watches you mentioned?

3. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Well, first you already need to be a T-Mobile customer. They're already making money off you as a monthly subscriber. So, from there, any phone or accessory over $79 is eligible for the EIP.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

then why not sell hotdogs?

The person you quoted hit the nail on the head. It is not a device they can profit from (at least until a cell version exist).

5. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I think you are missing the point. They currently finance Beats headphones, Android smartwatches, Bluetooth speakers, portable battery packs. None of them they profit from, except in any markup (if any), and no new line or its own service is required for the financing. But they profit from you being a T-Mobile subscriber in the first place. If you cancel service with them, then the remaining financed amount becomes due in its entirety. Call it a courtesy.