T-Mobile carrier update for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdzialak, Apr 17, 2013.

1. jdzialak macrumors regular

I received three 32G 5's from tmo today. I activated mine at work this morning, and my wife's and daughters just now at home. Mine received a carrier update within minutes of activation. The other 2 haven't gotten it yet, and cannot use imessage from the mobile number. There is now way to set the mobile number as your default "send from" that i can see.

Any ideas?

2. rockitdog Suspended

3. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Say 4G where? They say enable LTE in cellular settings, and i have seen 4G in the status bar when not E.

4. HiRisk macrumors 6502

Go to Settings, General, and then About. A menu should pop up giving you the option for the carrier update.

5. rockitdog Suspended

I wonder of they already have the carrier update.... Mine went from 3G to 4G in my status bar when I ran the update.

6. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

If they have it already, I wonder why they can't iMessage from their phone number, only the email address?

----------

Thats what my unlocked 4S did last week.
    i just can't figure out why the message settings don't have a way to add their phone number.

7. mizzouxc macrumors member

Go into Settings --> General --> About, then it should show up. In a few seconds, mine showed up.

8. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

I did. Nothing. But... carrier says T-Mobile 14.1, which is what I have. Maybe they are updated already. Just can't figure out the iMessage thing. Must be unrelated.

9. kazakh macrumors member

when you go to Settings-->Phone-->my number - does it show your number on there? because mine doesnt (and mine is an iphone 4 from att) - even though I did get a Carrier settings update earlier today.

10. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Yes.
    I'm going to try to restore the phone. It seems like something is corrupt or missing.

11. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The carrier update has nothing to do with iMessage. iMessage worked fine before T-Mobile made the carrier update available. Did you try disabling iMessage and rebooting the phone. Then enable it again?

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

For imessage just turn off then on again it should yrigger the activation again. Make sure you are on wifi it helps.

13. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the help. They both work now. One took several reboots and iMessage resets, but all good.