T-Mobile CS claimed they had an Apple phone coming out when I called to cancel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swindmill, Jul 3, 2007.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I thought I would post this simply because I found it interesting, but the claim is absurd for many reasons.

I just called T-Mobile to cancel my service with them, and when I was asked why I was canceling, I said I had switched to ATT for the iPhone. The customer rep said that T-Mobile had an iPhone like device coming out in Sept. and my response was something to the effect of wanting an Apple phone. She said that this device was from Apple, but that T-Mobile wanted to wait until the phone "didn't have any problems." She further stated that this phone would have a removable battery and other features that "customers wanted", but that the iPhone didn't offer. I confirmed that she was saying this was a phone from Apple for the T-Mobile network and she continuously affirmed that. I just said it sounded interesting and that I was anxious to see it.

This would sound completely absurd to anyone familiar with Apple and even more absurd to anyone familiar with the Apple/ATT partnership, so it seems like the only real query here is why this rep. would feed me these apparent lies. My only guess is that she doesn't understand Apple is a company and not a type of device...although it seems hard to believe anyone would have this misconception.

2. appleii2mac macrumors regular

Perhaps they are losing customers hand over fist to AT&T because of the iPhone?

OTOH, she may just be clueless. And you did say she said an iPhone "like" device.

CSR's aren't really known for their knowledge of what's going on.

3. David R macrumors 6502

She may have been honest, but not really knowing what she was talking about. She did say iPhone-like device.

Or maybe she is hoping someone will fall for it, after all, retention agents get a bonus for each person who doesn't cancel.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah. No doubt they have a script, and they have some other product. And under tough questioning, she slipped up.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I've done telesales for mobile phones. I said all sorts of nonsense in order to make a sale. You're pretty much allowed to say what you want as no one would actually dream of suing a phone company because of something a phone monkey said. You're told to take advantage of that.

And no, I'm not proud of myself for it.

:(

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

She's lying. Plain and simple. I deal with people like this everyday.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I had this from Vodafone in the UK. They actually called me out of the blue to get me to sign up for a second line on my cell phone. :confused:

Anyhoo... I said I am not going to commit to anything until the iPhone hits these crappy brown shores then I will be going wherever it lands. The guy said "well if you sign up now (second line) you can transfer to the iPhone for free."

"Really?" I said. "So how long have you known Steve Jobs?" I asked.

"Whos Steve Jobs?" was the reply.

"Exactly" Then I hung up.

This was about 2 months ago. :rolleyes:

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Well, except that it appears that Vodafone could very well become an iPhone carrier. All sorts of news headlines say they're in talks with Apple.

Hope they don't remember you if they do bring it out :D

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The point I'm making is this guy was talking a load of crap just to get me to sign up. There is no way he could know which provider would get the iPhone.

10. dangleheart macrumors 6502

11. Babiipiink macrumors member

It's funny because I was told the same thing a few days ago when I called to ask about my contract. When i used to work for T-Mobile we were told there was something in the works to bring an iPhone-like device to T-Mobile USA...I'm still waiting to see it...

12. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I cancelled my t-mobile contract early (yesterday), so I have no phone (except skype) till friday. I was able to get out without paying the ETF because they raised their text messaging cost. T-mobile 3g is currently only in new york so they are way way behind.

14. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Funny, they told me the same thing. (I was calling to make sure my account was squared away) I asked to speak to a supervisor.

I explained to the supervisor that they are full of **** and they really need to stop. After a few minutes of arguing I got her to admit that they are being told to do it. Simple as that.

We all know the carriers are going to lose a TON of customers on Friday.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

T-Mobile works with HTC to bring their devices into the USA. It's probably this HTC "iPhone Killer":

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/06/htc-launches-latest-iphone-competitor/

Attached Files:

16. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

An instore Verizon rep told me the same thing a few months ago - but more pointed than that. She said that Verizon WOULD have the iPhone on their network. I asked her to confirm that with the manager. He walked over and said..."uh no, the iPhone will not be on our network." and looked at her like she was nuts.

17. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

EPIC FAIL :D

18. Babiipiink macrumors member

LOL

19. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Yeah, the HTC Diamond fits the bill. It will be coming to T-Moblie USA, there are issues with the voice quality in the US, it has a removable battery, etc, etc. It will actually be the best thing that T-Mobile can do keep iPhone like customers.

Good luck, maybe if T-Mobile used the same 3G as AT&T they would get to keep their customers as people would just unlock the iPhone 3G and use it on T-Mobile. Hmm.:rolleyes:

20. Psyxologos macrumors regular

God I AM a n00b. who is Steve Jobs?:confused::eek:

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Since this seems to be a hot topic, here's CNET's article on "iPhone Killers" available on other networks:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-9985925-94.html

There is some truth when your cell providers say, "Wait, we will have an 'iPhone' too!"

22. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

This makes me scared to call and cancel my tmobile account.

I hate being bullied into something that I don't want...maybe I should just tell them that I'm italian and could have their car blown up at will... :p

Edit: and I'll be using my iphone with a third party app to initiate the explosion. :)

23. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I called into TMO today to take the password off my account in order to try and eliminate any problems porting over on Friday. The guy asked me if I wanted a different password. I told him, no "I don't want any hassles when I port my number to the new iphone on Friday". He said, "okay, done. Have a great day."

He sounded defeated and demoralized. :D

24. interesting, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011