Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Here's the brand-new, Tiger-updated list of products that work with iSync:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

Here are the phones T-Mobile is offering on their U.S. website:
http://www.t-mobile.com/products/default.asp?class=phone

Do you see a match? All I see are the Motorola v180 and v600, neither of which seems very appealing (does anyone like Motorola phones?)

On T-Mobile's Handhelds page, there are two matches, the Treo 600 and the N-Gage.

WTF?

If you use T-Mobile, do you sync with your Mac? Where did you get your phone?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I have a T610 from T-Mobile and it syncs just fine. I got the phone at the store when I switched from AT&T (who wouldn't unlock my T68i :mad: ). I just wish someone other than Cingular would carry the S710a, and for less than $500. :( Oh well, I waited for the T68i, I can wait for this one.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
Not sure if it is still availble, but the (T-Mobile) Nokia 6600 sync's perfectly with the Mac. I sync my contacts, calendar, and use the phone as a bluetooth modem with my iBook.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I recently got the V600 from T-Mobile and I'm perfectly happy with it. But if you don't like Motorola phones, I don't know what to tell you.

With Panther I've had to sync with a cable, which isn't really a big deal; but with Tiger I'll be able to use Bluetooth. The rest of the Bluetooth functionality works quite well, and T-Mobile doesn't seem to artificially limit what you can do with it - unlike some other cell phone companies.

But frankly, I'm not a phone snob (no offense intended) - if the phone works well, has decent battery life, and isn't too bulky, that's about all I care about.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You have it hard?

Try owning Nextel !?

I like to think of Nextel as being the Apple of the Cell phone world. Powerfull phones, lots of features. Just no wide user base.

But that is just me.. I have Verizon also, but that is for work :p

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
840quadra said:
Try owning Nextel !?

I like to think of Nextel as being the Apple of the Cell phone world. Powerfull phones, lots of features. Just no wide user base.

But that is just me.. I have Verizon also, but that is for work :p

Nextel is no more now. They are own by sprint now. They are planning on adding the stuff to sprint phones

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
I've got a Nokia 2285 from Verizon Wireless, which was free with the plan I ordered; actually, it was a situation where I made $30 off of rebates.

Can anyone recommend a good phone to use with Verizon and iSync? I'm thinking about buying a new one.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Toe said:
(does anyone like Motorola phones?)
I like Motorola phones. :)

Westside guy said:
I recently got the V600 from T-Mobile and I'm perfectly happy with it. But if you don't like Motorola phones, I don't know what to tell you.

With Panther I've had to sync with a cable, which isn't really a big deal; but with Tiger I'll be able to use Bluetooth. The rest of the Bluetooth functionality works quite well, and T-Mobile doesn't seem to artificially limit what you can do with it - unlike some other cell phone companies.
Absolutely... I've got Verizon, and I'd have gotten the V710 by now if its Bluetooth sync wasn't disabled.

840quadra said:
If Nextel were the Apple of the cell phone world I suppose Apple would dominate in the construction / skilled trades / traveling salespeople market. (j/k)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Timelessblur said:
Nextel is no more now. They are own by sprint now. They are planning on adding the stuff to sprint phones

it is actually a merger, and while they are dropping the Nextel 800 MHZ band, Nextel is far from gone. The CTO from Nextel, is now the CTO for Sprint, they are going to merge the two groups together, and Nextel will continue to work on being the top choice for contractors, and business divisions, while Sprint will work for the normal home, cell phone users. The big question is, what will happen with Boost?

Anybody see the flood of Nextel ads? If Sprint / Nextel was going to squash the Nextel line, why would they be spending millions on the current ad campaign?

Needless to say, they are here to stay.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
I wrote to T-Mobile about their scarcity of Mac-compatible phones, and got back a generic response. The closest they got to an answer was:
Currently we do offer a variety of phones and we do plan on expanding our current selection of handsets, however, we are unable to provide details as to when new phone models will be introduced the market. Please keep checking our website, http://www.T-Mobile.com for current and up to date information on handsets, plans, and features.
In other words... "We didn't read your message, but maybe we'll change something sometime." Anyway, I'd encourage others to write to them as well and, ya know... go Mac fanatics on their a**es. ;)

Swinny

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Oxford, UK
I have a T-Mobile MDA Compact, and whilst there is no direct iSync support, after installing Pocket Mac I get an icon in iSync that allows me to sync just as easilly as I did with my old T610 and K700.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
840quadra said:
it is actually a merger, and while they are dropping the Nextel 800 MHZ band, Nextel is far from gone. The CTO from Nextel, is now the CTO for Sprint, they are going to merge the two groups together, and Nextel will continue to work on being the top choice for contractors, and business divisions, while Sprint will work for the normal home, cell phone users. The big question is, what will happen with Boost?

Anybody see the flood of Nextel ads? If Sprint / Nextel was going to squash the Nextel line, why would they be spending millions on the current ad campaign?

The clearest sign of Nextel's brand longevity and strength will be whether next year the top NASCAR series is called "Nextel Cup," "Nextel - Sprint Cup," "Sprint - Nextel Cup," or "Sprint Cup."

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
FWIW, Tiger appears to correct Motorola Bluetooth problems.

Have another look at the iSync Devices page. Notice that Motorola's note (which used to something like "USB only") now says: "Bluetooth and/or USB syncing."

I had heard that the problem was Motorola's, not Apple's. But apparently Tiger works it out one way or another....

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Rod Rod said:
The clearest sign of Nextel's brand longevity and strength will be whether next year the top NASCAR series is called "Nextel Cup," "Nextel - Sprint Cup," "Sprint - Nextel Cup," or "Sprint Cup."

Considering that they intend on making Sprint the Home, consumer level phone brand of the two, I would assume it would be called sprint cup.

Just my thoughts, nothing more.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
840quadra said:

if I remeber correctly they are planning to change the signal of both phones to something better. Right now Nextels system is better for instante radio thing they do and sprints is better for data transfering. Also I think on combining the 2 into both comanies phones

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
So... wandering back to the topic... :)

If I wanted to sign up with T-Mobile, and I want to get a rebated phone (ie, with a contract), where should I look? Especially if I want to get something nice like a Sony Ericsson s710 or z600?

I've found http://www.mobilebee.com/ but they seem very sketchy, and got some really bad reviews. I also see http://www.letstalk.com/ but they have a pretty limited selection (like the s710 is only available with Cingular).

Any suggestions?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Toe said:
FWIW, Tiger appears to correct Motorola Bluetooth problems.

Have another look at the iSync Devices page. Notice that Motorola's note (which used to something like "USB only") now says: "Bluetooth and/or USB syncing."

I had heard that the problem was Motorola's, not Apple's. But apparently Tiger works it out one way or another....
It also depends on your service provider. I can't transfer files to my 710v Moto phone over bluetooth, but I can connect to it and use it as a bluetooth modem. I still use USB to sync contacts and my calendar. Its all because Verizon doesn't want you to steal their programs or something so they disable the bluetooth file transfers.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Toe said:
If I wanted to sign up with T-Mobile, and I want to get a rebated phone (ie, with a contract), where should I look? Especially if I want to get something nice like a Sony Ericsson s710 or z600?

From what I've seen, Amazon is still near the top of the heap for rebate prices. If you sign up for dealnews.com's list or techbargain's list, both of these list rebated phones for T-mo and Cingular almost daily.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
varmit said:
It also depends on your service provider. I can't transfer files to my 710v Moto phone over bluetooth, but I can connect to it and use it as a bluetooth modem. I still use USB to sync contacts and my calendar. Its all because Verizon doesn't want you to steal their programs or something so they disable the bluetooth file transfers.

Verizon does that for one reason - they want you to have to pay them extra to use their value-added file transfer services rather than do the same thing for free with Bluetooth. Their "it's for security reasons" argument does not stand up to even the slightest amount of scrutiny.

I really hope more people will vote with their feet and leave Verizon. These large corporations will have no incentive to treat people better unless they get called on crap like this.

Drgnhntr

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
San Diego
Toe said:
So... wandering back to the topic... :)

I've found http://www.mobilebee.com/ but they seem very sketchy, and got some really bad reviews. I also see http://www.letstalk.com/ but they have a pretty limited selection (like the s710 is only available with Cingular).

Any suggestions?

I also wanted to recommend Amazon. The only thing I wanted to add is to not use their free shipping. It took almost 2 weeks for them to ship my phone, after they activated my service. I paid about for 10 days of service I didn't have a phone for. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.