Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I'd like to know how just how well the AWS iPhone 5 performs on T-Mobile. When I had T-Mobile, their AWS devices would often switch to EDGE in good covered areas. I found the constant switching to kill my battery. Then at home I'd have full 5 bars of EDGE only. What I'd really like to know is, what happens in areas where T-Mobile has already refarmed to 1900 PCS 3G? Many have reported the iPhone prefers AWS 3G, resulting in weaker signals.

With T-Mobile using 1900/AWS frequencies, their in-building coverage will be inferior to AT&T. So can those using the iPhone 5 with AWS support comment on the network experience? Preferably those in good to excellent coverage areas.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I live in an area that was consistently on edge when I was using an unlocked iPhone 5. When is switched to the AWS supported it was night and day difference for me... That didn't last long though because the LTE kicked in about a month and a half after I got the T-Mobile iPhone. I have no complaints! I still have typical t-mobile issues (random times of data loss) but it really is a huge difference for!

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
pz6Gye0.png

Perhaps it's a sign?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'll be switching to T-mobile when the 5s/6 comes out and hopping from AT&T to T-mobile. I don't know many people on T-Mobile in this area, but those that are love the service.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
I have great reception in Dallas, Austin, and Houston: rarely see Edge and mostly 4G and now lately LTE.
I'm a moderate data user: used almost 10 GB data in 2 weeks.....

We all know the limitations of TMob: Edge coverage along highways not in urban areas, spotty building penetration, and edge coverage in outlying/rural USA. None of those matter to me so TMO works great since my bill is 1/2 compared to the other carriers. That being said, just don't have the expectation that TMO will have the extensive coverage as ATT/Verizon.

Best thing to do is maybe try buying a used Nexus 4 off CL (relatively cheap priced Android and fully compatible with TMOs 1700/2100) and test it out in your area before you switch over.

Just did a speed test in my apt :

Nexus 4 on 4G : 15.20/2.10 57 ms
iPhone 5 on LTE: 15.18/6 38 ms 19/5.4 42ms
iphone 5 on 4G : 9/2.2 53 ms

On another note, I generally see better speed tests on my Nexus 4 compared to my iPhone 5 when both are on 4G....go figure....and yes I have the AWS iphone 5.

I live in Austin which TMO has not officially announced it has launced LTE yet.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'd like to know how just how well the AWS iPhone 5 performs on T-Mobile.
Coverage varies by market (and even with a given market) with all carriers. You need to test it out in your area or find people that use TMO in the areas that you need coverage most.

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
In before AutoUnion39 comes in to tell you that no matter what you can't have a good experience on T-mobile because he hasn't.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Fo me here in Denver, T-Mobile is better than AT&T and Verizon. There are just too many areas where I can't even get a data connection and yet on T-mobile, I can.

I can't even use my iPad on AT&T using data in the day time. At night, I can get a little connection but it rarely goes above 1Mbps and I don't get LTE.

On T-Mobile, I can get as high as 8Mbps or so on my 4S any time of the day.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Just switched last week. Have an iP5 with AWS support, in Detroit Metro Area. Loving it so far. Been picking up strong 4G, and even occasionally LTE (although it seems to be off now, as I'm thinking they are just turning it on for testing right now). Tried a non AWS iP5 first, but was on EDGE a little too much for my satisfaction. But with the new iP5 with AWS, it's much better. 4G almost everywhere around here. Even at my desk in a building, in dearborn, where I was always losing my AT&T signal.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'd like to know how just how well the AWS iPhone 5 performs on T-Mobile. When I had T-Mobile, their AWS devices would often switch to EDGE in good covered areas. I found the constant switching to kill my battery. Then at home I'd have full 5 bars of EDGE only. What I'd really like to know is, what happens in areas where T-Mobile has already refarmed to 1900 PCS 3G? Many have reported the iPhone prefers AWS 3G, resulting in weaker signals.

With T-Mobile using 1900/AWS frequencies, their in-building coverage will be inferior to AT&T. So can those using the iPhone 5 with AWS support comment on the network experience? Preferably those in good to excellent coverage areas.
I don't even have to read this thread, use TMo, or even know what AWS to give an answer.

Those in 'good to excellent coverage areas' will experience 'good to excellent' performance.

:)

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
When I'm around Boston, city and suburbs, I get LTE everywhere. Even 4G underground in the subway when on the trains.

When I travel to CT, data signal is quite horrible.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
When I'm around Boston, city and suburbs, I get LTE everywhere. Even 4G underground in the subway when on the trains.

When I travel to CT, data signal is quite horrible.

In Boston wow that's awesome. I suspected as much. There is a guy on these forums that says T-Mobile is unusable in Boston. He even call it a crap network. I Guess he was full of it after all.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

What a load of crap. Brookline and Fenway have zero LTE right now. They aren't even close to being done with the PCS refarm either. I can go down Beacon Street and Comm. Ave and it drops in and out with a PCS HSPA phone.

Airportal and sensorly back up my claims that they're not even remotely done yet.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
What a load of crap. Brookline and Fenway have zero LTE right now. They aren't even close to being done with the PCS refarm either. I can go down Beacon Street and Comm. Ave and it drops in and out with a PCS HSPA phone.

Airportal and sensorly back up my claims that they're not even remotely done yet.

Lmao, what took u so long.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
My t-mobile experience on the AWS iPhone 5 has been great so far (Miami, FL). B/f I had an unlocked 4S w/o AWS and it used to be terrible, although tmobile had already announced Miami as one of those refarmed areas to 1900Mhz I would still experience spotty 3G service, but it was still faster then AT&T.

But when I got the tmobile iPhone 5 things changed and ever since I have been on tmobile. I even got a second line for my step daughter (a galaxy s3) and we both now enjoy LTE in Miami, and when not on LTE, I most of the times drop back to 3G HSPA+. Now inside my home, for some reason (maybe building penetration), I drop to EDGE and hate it, every time it does. Luckily I have Comcast Internet at home on a netgear router so as soon as I enter home, my iPhone 5 connects to my wifi and when I need to make an important phone call, I borrow wife's iPhone 4 running AT&T MVNO straight talk which has full 5 bars of signal I side our home.

For me tmobile has been a savings compared to AT&T. No doubt AT&T is superior then tmobile, specially inside buildings, but paying for the extra cost of service doesn't do it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.