T-Mobile HD Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McBeresford, Apr 15, 2013.

1. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Called my wife yesterday, (both use iPhone 5's on T-Mo) and experienced HD Voice for the first time. Was pretty neat. Sound was much "clearer" but background noise was awful. She was inside, myself in the car and I could hear the neighboring conversation someone was having on her end, in a quiet bridal boutique.

BTW my wife hated it. Said it was too weird and doesn't like that it can't be turned off. I loved it.

So T-Mobile's HD voice isn't exclusive to LTE, but works well on their "4G" as well. BTW these phones are AT&T phones using the 1900mhz AWS spectrum for speed.

So there ya go. Anyone else able to try out the HD Voice? Must be on two HD Voice capable devices, on at least 4G and on the same network.

2. crisg macrumors member

I've used it calling my girlfriend, we're both on t-mobile iphone 5's. It sounded fantastic. I was at home and she was driving -- and she had the phone on her lap on speaker phone. It sounded amazingly clear. I could hear all her intonations and there was none of the typical dead-air sound you sometimes get on cell phone calls. I love it.

3. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I noticed in the past when speaking with people that had Tmobile, the call was always muffled (not all tmobile customers, all but one.) I don't think the person would hear me muffled but I would have to raise the volume or turn off the tv to hear them. Did anyone experience that before, and would HD help?

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

With HD Voice both users would have to be using an iPhone 5.

Something weird of note on T-Mobile's call quality (sort of) is the fact that when I talk to my brother on his Galaxy S2 I get an echo back of whatever I'm saying. For the longest time we thought it was the service or the phone, until he took the case off. It was crystal clear. I don't know what it is about that case, but it causes me to hear an echo of what I speak. It was one of the Body Glove (not positive) cases that T-Mobile sells in the store too, so there's probably thousands of them out there, screwing up people's call quality.

5. onecoolazzgeek macrumors member

Not really true. I've had HD Voice pop on quite alot recently between myself and my wife. She has a Galaxy S3 and could still hear the dramatic difference in sound quality. Maybe it works as long as there is at least one iPhone 5 involved in the conversation.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

This is from T-Mobile's support site. It seems there's a few phones on their network that use HD Voice.
    Add the iPhone 5 to that as well.
    http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5407

7. onecoolazzgeek macrumors member

Nice, official documentation FTW!