T-Mobile iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demonface, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Hello All,
    I have a question but I dont know if anyone knows the answer yet. Lets say you buy the iPhone 5 but you cancel the service but continue to pay for the phone how would i be able to unlock the device ? Would Swiftunlocks be able to do it ?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

T-mobile won't unlock unless the phone is completely paid off.

I'm not sure if swiftunlocks works with tmobile, but if it does, it won't matter if it's paid off or not.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's something you will need to ask tmobile when they start selling the iphone officially.
    Why not purchase it full price and then you wont have to worry about it being locked or unlocking it later.

4. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

iPhone will be locked to t-mobile until it is paid fully.

There is noway to get unlocked iPhone in installment way! ;)

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Can't the OP unlock it using these 3rd. Party unlocking websites?

6. rockitdog Suspended

As soon as you cancel your service with TMO you will be billed for the balance owed on your phone. There isn't a way to keep paying on the installment plan.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That makes sense.
    Why finance people's cellphone purchase over so many months if they're not even customers of Tmobile any more.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Actually, you have 3 options: 1) pay off the phone, 2) turn it in and pay the difference, or 3) finish making payments.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That's true. I was under the impression you could still keep making payments.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1674

10. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Yes, like people said above. You can cancel, you will just need to pay the whole balance of the iPhone on your next bill. The EIP.

11. rockitdog Suspended

No, that's not true. I know from personal experience that when I cut my initial contract early with TMO I had to pay the difference on the phone. They were willing to send it to their collections if I had needed some extra time but I just paid it off.

12. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The new uncarrier plans made changes to the way you purchase your phone which is now separate from the plan. Unless you canceled your plan in the last week, I don't see how what happened to you applies.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What if you pay in full at T-Moblle, will they then unlock it. I hear, the price of a T-Mobile i5 is cheaper that an unlocked i5 at the Apple store.

14. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I have seen that the T-Mobile iPhone 5 will be unlocked right out of the gate. I have seen this twice and will try and find a link. The articles said that this is the only phone that will be like this on T-Mobile.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

No it will be locked to Tmobile unless you pay for it outright then you can request an unlock. The only phone they sell unlocked is the nexus 4 and that's because there is no locked version of the phone.

16. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The reduced price is only if you buy it with the installment plan afaik. If you pay full price, you don't get the reduced total price they advertise.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What if you purchase the T-Mobile iPhone 5 by way of monthly installment, can you stop pay-as-yougo plan and only pay the installment plan for the iPhone since it's contract free?

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Right now, the only phone that T-Mobile sells that is unlocked out of the box is the Nexus 4.

19. daghstdrummer macrumors member

I spoke with T-Mobile they will unlock the Iphone 5 for you after 2 months as long as you pay your phone bill (not installments) in full.

I've been a customer with t-mobile for 5 years now.. had quite a few phones unlocked this way.

They are really good about it too.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That's really cool.

I wish more carriers did this, and soon were required to under law.

Unlocking doesn't mean you can elope to another carrier without paying up - you're still under contract (or in Tmobile's case, an installment plan), it just gives you some freedom for international travel if you want to tack on another carrier in addition to your existing plan.

21. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats pretty cool , Just hope its true.

22. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Wrong. You have the option of doing a ONE INSTALLMENT payment at the time of purchase which is equal to the discounted price over Apple's store.

Or, you could make balloon payments [ $50 - $75/month instead of the regular $20 ] and pay it off sooner.

----------

I also just emailed swiftunlocks and they will NOT be unlocking the official T-Mobile iPhones at this point..

23. bozzykid macrumors 68020

But I believe you are required to sign up for one month post-paid to get that price. They haven't been clear about what they are charging prepaid users who want to pay in full.

24. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I got a chance to stop by an Apple store today. There, I asked about them PM'ing their straight up [ un-subsidized price for iPhone ] sale with T-Mobile's.

The rep [ or whoever he was ] said they are PM'ing with T-Mobile with the following conditions:

1) Apply for a Barclay's card [ Apple's way of financing ]
    2) Based on your credit worthiness, make a down payment [ matching T-Mobile ]
    3) You get 0% financing to pay off the phone at a minimum monthly charge and up on making the final payment, they will refund/credit the Barclay's card with the price difference aka Price Match.

So, for example they will *finance* a 16GB iP5 for $649 + Tax and then refund/credit back $70 to match T-Mobile's price of $579 AFTER you have paid $649+Tax in full via minimum monthly payments or one/several large payments prior to the end of the 0% term, which is set forth by Barclays.

Basically, from what I understood, you'll have a $70 credit on your Barclays card, unless Apple writes off the last $70 so you don't end up with a credit, but a $0/null/no due balance.

I hope that makes sense because no one, at the Apple store, knew exactly how this would pan out blaming it on it being the first day selling a T-Mobile iPhone with their *new* plan.

What he, and others, also did not know was whether the financing @ 0% will be for 6/12/18/24 months. That is something Barclays would decide!

The upside, from what I was told, is that the device will be unlocked at the time of purchase.

So...that's the low down....if correct!

25. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

This. Once you cancel the service, you'll receive a final bill with the remaining amount of the phone in one lump sum. So your balance would be $480 and you'd have to pay that in full if you didn't want the IMEI blocked until you paid it off. So just do as others say and pay a little more until it's paid off, fax the unlock form in and you'll be golden.