Carrier T-Mobile iPhone on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Oct 6, 2014.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

After reading up on this, apparently the T-Mobile unlocked iPhone works on all carriers. The only hurdle you run into is with Verizon activating the SIM for you since the serial number is from a T-Mobile base (Verizon only accepts Verizon phones).

My question is, could I get a "free" android Verizon phone and ask them to activate it with the iPhone size SIM (using an adapter so it fits the android phone), then immediately return the phone, and use that SIM in my iPhone?

Would Verizon eventually block my phone? It has been confirmed that an active SIM will work on Verizon's network, just trying to figure out the best way to make this happen.

Thanks!

2. casheddie macrumors newbie

I think the challenge you would run into is if you return the phone, Verizon would most likely cancel the line as well since it was activated with the phone.

I was trying to figure out the best way to use a non Verizon iPhone 6+ on their network as well and I just ended up going to get the Verizon version. Yes, the unlocked T-mobile and unlocked AT&T iPhone 6/6+s will work on Verizon but the hassle of trying to get an active SIM was too much. I went down the path of getting an ALLSET prepaid phone. I got the phone, cut the micro SIM down to nano size, and popped the SIM in and mostly everything worked except visual voicemail and VoLTE. Verizon states that VoLTE is not available on prepaid as yet.

I don't think there is a clean way to get an active SIM on Verizon unless you already have service with them. For me, I was an AT&T customer and didn't have Verizon service and was interested in switching. The main driver for switching was that I get 25% discount on Verizon. Service and pricing was pretty much equal in my area so I opted to switch to get the savings.

I've had access to the the discount for years but never took advantage of it because Verizon didn't have iPhone until 2011 and then couldn't do voice and data at the same time. Once VoLTE hit and everything else being equal in terms of base pricing before my discount and service, I went on and made the switch.

I think in the coming years, this won't be an issue since I believe the carries will be require to sale all unlocked phones for domestic use after 2015. This year's iPhone already moves us in that direction with all of them being essentially the same hardware with all radios enabled and only thing distinguishing them are the MEIDs in the various carrier databases.