T-mobile NanoSIM Card & Unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lotus8, Oct 11, 2012.

1. lotus8 macrumors member

lotus8

Hey all, quick question for verification purposes.

I see a lot of people have made their own MicroSim to NanoSIM cards, taking advantage of T-Mobiles SIM card activiation kit for 99cents. I've been reading articles saying that more and more stores are now starting to stock this week the NanoSim cards. One of my questions, are they offering these new Nano cards 'out of contract' just like buying the activation kit ones?

I tried buying the old card, sounds easy enough for me to cut down, but T-mobile had some issue 'confirming' me they said over the phone, and told me I had to go to a store to purchase it (and I know its not the same price).

Honestly, I just want the card to verify my phone is unlocked (and bypassing the iTunes restore with congrats message). I'm not planning soon to go out of the country, but just wanted to be re-assured.

Also, I thought I read the actual Tmobile, or any sim card for that matter, doesnt need to be activated, just the actual phone needs to be. Correct?

Think I'm getting there, thanks in advance.

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

They're offered to existing and new customers both contracted and prepaid. If you don't have an account just go up there and activate a prepaid monthly 4g plan and tell them you're using an iPhone 5 and need the nano sim.

3. lotus8 thread starter macrumors member

lotus8

and how much should that cost me about?

4. PeterTran macrumors member

nano sims cost 20 dollars at my tmobile store

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I didn't use a nano, but cut a micro.
    Do you know whether the $20 you've quoted includes any call time? I think I got 30 minutes for $10, plus the cost of the sim. Out the door for under $20. Just wondering...

6. PeterTran macrumors member

not sure, but usually sims itself come with a few min of call time. My mom got the 30 min for 10 dollars and a sim activation kit too for another 10. But the nano sim itself is 20 i think. Idk why tmobile made it like that....only iphone 5s use nano sims and iphones arent even official phones of tmobile so why are they making it so expensive

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got a microsim on ebay for 99 cents with free shipping.
    Then cut it myself to nanosim. Put it on my AT&T i5 and got Tmobile service.
    Just used it to check my unlock, that's all.
    I dont want to spend $10 or $20 for a nanosim.

8. cochon macrumors newbie

cochon

Would you post a ebay link ?

Thanks

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Shoot I just ordered one from t mobile for .99 cents and free overnight shipping why not :D

blah just checked the status and it shows I selected the overnight shipping but the estimated delivery is 10/17 bas***

11. psywzrd, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn it:D
    I got it in 2 days from that ebay seller.
    But again I wasnt in a rush. Its just for verification that's all.
    You can get the same from Tmobile like the bro posted above.

13. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

If you do not restore your phone via iTunes, you will go through the standard iPhone activation process over wifi or you will have to connect to iTunes.

If your t-mo sim card is not activated, you will not get a t-mo signal. If you don't get a signal, how do you know that the phone is unlocked?

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I can confirm that the t-mobile sim doesn't need to be activated. All you need to confirm is that t-mobile shows up as the carrier and that you don't see a prompt telling you that you need to insert a sim from a supported carrier.

15. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

I went to the tmobile store, and they just gave me a nano sim after making sure I was a customer

16. PeterTran macrumors member

really?!??!?!COOL:D thats going to save me 20 bucks lol

17. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

yep it was free!

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i have an iP4 that i want to give to my GF to use. My iP4 is 2yrs old and not in contract anymore so i shouldnt have a problem getting it unlocked if i call ATT. BUT if we activate it through tmobile for her, will it change any her of plan through tmobile? will it change her contract dates? she went into tmobile a little while ago and they can sell her the microsim for $20 but the guy says they have to activate it in store and i need to take the iPhone too?? is this correct?

19. saud0488 macrumors 6502

the kits are free if you go to a company store. mall kiosks charge another 15 or so.

I got the 30 min. prepaid startup for 10 plus tax.

20. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

Yep, that seems to be the case, you can only get them free at the tmobile store, authorized retailers will charge you...

21. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

So if I just want to check my unlock do I need to have prepaid service or will just putting the T-Mobile sim in my AT&T iPhone 5 be enough to verify the phone is unlocked?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just putting it in would be enough.

That's what she said:D

23. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Haha thanks. Was the gold contact area bigger than the size of a nano sim on the sim you bought? I've noticed that on some micro and mini sims its a different size. I'm wondering if cutting into it will mess up the sim?

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I only cut a small amount of gold contact material. Where you cut it diagonal on the corner. The rest was just cutting the plastic around it.

25. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I take it back! it is out for delivery! shoot I ordered at 4:30 pm yesterday. talk about a steal!