iPhone X T-Mobile says I need to erase my iPhone before they can unlock it, is this necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dglenn9000, May 6, 2019.

1. dglenn9000 macrumors member

I have T-Mobile, put in a request for unlock. They replied with an email saying to unlock I will need to backup and erase the iPhone.

My question, is that really required. I have 3 iPhones I’m doing this to. I would hate to erase all three and I assume restore even tho the directions don’t say restore. Email attached.

Attached Files:

2. synonys macrumors member

synonys

Just get a non-T-Mobile sim if you don’t want to restore the phone. It doesn’t need to be an active sim.

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

That process is just to verify it's unlocked afterwards. You can stick another sim in to not have to do this process.

4. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Like the others who posted before me, you just need to pop in another SIM to verify the device is unlocked. That's all I did once I paid off my X, requested T-Mobile unlock it, then popped my wife's AT&T SIM to verify the device was indeed unlocked.

No need to erase your phone - only when you sell your phone can you erase it/restore to factory settings.