Carrier T-Mobile signs up more customers in first quarter than rivals combined http://www.la

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, May 2, 2014.

1. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Wow TMO is kicking butt!

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Good, maybe they'll have the cash to get their LTE expanding!!

3. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Yeah...I like how they changing things up in the wireless industry. But their coverage needs to improve. Especially in buildings.....

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Says they still lost 151 million.....somehow :confused:

5. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Maybe it is the EFT fees they are paying?

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

They are. The purchase of some 700 bandwidth from Verizon is a done deal and it will make their LTE better as far as getting better signals in buildings and such.

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No idea how they can lose that much with a record gain for themselves.

8. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

It definitely has to be the ETFs. If you think about it, $250 - $300 a pop per line can get really costly once it adds up.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I don't know what EFT fees are but seems it don't pay to add new customers if that is what is causing a loss.

10. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

They must be willing to take a short term hit in profit for a long term gain in customers.....

11. Espeonia macrumors member

Espeonia

Early termination fees.
    They'll probably make up that ~150 million sooner or later with their new customers.

12. mclld macrumors 68000

I signed up for a month of the plan that gives unlimited text/data and 100 minutes for 30/month to see how the service was, pure crap. On their own map on their site it shows my town to have excellent coverage, horrible is more like it. The signal when you could actually get one was one bar, maybe two if you were lucky. maybe it was because I tried the service on an unlocked Att iphone 4s and maybe result would be better on a different phone, but it was bad on the phone I tried

13. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Yeah that sounds surprising. Out in northeast PA I found that the signal was excellent where it existed. I was even able to use Spotify with Edge when it dropped to that.

----------

Exactly. That's why you have to buy a new phone. It's kind of a clever ruse.

They pay your ETF and give you a down payment on your phone, so you start off with them by owing about half on a new device. You'll stick around as long as it takes to pay that off, which if you're doing $20/mo and owe around $250 you're looking at almost a year, by which time you're probably gonna be with them for a while.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yeah, they have that EFTs they will pay your carrier to switch over. Good points. Makes sense and they must see the money being made up in the long run.

15. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

They even give you the option of just having it be put on your contract, I believe. So pretty much they're banking on people using the option, getting hooked in with financing a phone, and then they'll just stay.