T-mobile UK sim in unlocked 3GS - poor 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JonLa, Nov 25, 2011.

1. JonLa macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

Just moved to Orange from o2, got my old 3GS unlocked and gave it to the wife. It's a recent refurb given to me via applecare after my old 3GS developed cracks. It worked okay on O2.

So I put my wife's t-mobile SIM in from her android phone and at first it seemed to work fine, but now it's struggling to find a 3G signal.

T-mobile have two carrier networks at the mo - we can see the T-Mobile Orange combined network, which should be the same quality as my 4s on Orange, but it frequently loses the network altogether, and never has 3G. The older separate t-mobile is there, sometimes with weak 3G, most often nothing. It seems to jump between the two networks, frequently losing all signal.

I'm at a loss - it could be the SIM, which may have been scratched by her HTC android phone; it could be the 2-week old refurbished 3GS, it could be some problem at t-mobile's end stopping their customers accessing the Orange network at the moment, but there's nothing reported. My only other thought was that there needs to be a carrier settings update - except it was set up as new in iOS 5 with the t-mobile SIM in it, so it should have got the carrier automatically...

2. CBX macrumors regular

I don't think you can use the Orange 3G signal yet as a T-Mobile user, only 2G at the moment (I think).

Had a similar thing moving from unlocked 3G to a 4 with a TMobile sim. The 4 struggles to get a signal at all sometimes when the 3G had no problem :(

3. JonLa thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe that's it - Their website seems to imply that in certain areas they've already merged the networks fully and we certainly get T-Mobile Orange or Orange T-Mobile if we do a network scan. It's a shame because we she joined T-mobile her 3G was faster and better than my O2 iphone, but it's gradually declined to this point, and she'll be leaving as soon as she can.

J