T-Mobile update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcooln, Apr 8, 2013.

1. bcooln macrumors regular

Tmobile just release update. 14.1. For those who don't know how to get to the update, go the setting - about, then you will see the carrier update.

2. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Just grabbed it. I'm in Toronto though, so can't really do much. I do have the LTE toggle now.

3. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Worked for me on jailbroken 6.1! Although my voicemail setup is giving me issues.

edit: visual voicemail setup complete and working great :)

4. mainevent3405 macrumors newbie

Updated!!

Just plugged into itunes and it installed carrier update. Stepped outside (out of wifi) and notices it's 4g enabled now as well. I will only get LTE when in certain areas here in Atlanta I'm sure but LTE is enabled here. Up until now the only network I would get is 3g and Edge.

Happy Camper! :)

5. ChittagongBoy macrumors member

Tmobile Update on iPhone 4S

Anyone Updated FW with factory unlocked iPhone 4S ?

6. oj in compton macrumors newbie

I got it on my unlocked, jailbroken iPhone 4 by going to the about screen like the OP. APNs were changed to fast.tmobile.com.

7. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I just realized it took away the setting to turn on personal hotspot. now there's a button to "set up personal hotspot" in the cellular data settings, but when I click it I get a pop up saying to contact tmobile. So I guess I lost that feature :( ah well.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

4G isn't "enabled". They just changed it to display 4G when you are connected to HSPA+. Before it just showed 3G but carriers want it to say 4G even though it isn't. Your speeds will be the same since it was only a change in how it is displayed.

9. jackwills macrumors regular

jackwills

i will need to be a T-Mobile user for my iPhone to get this update?

10. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

Can T-Mobile users turn off 3G and LTE with this update? Could they turn off 3G before the update?

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, it isn't worth anything to you unless you have a T-Mobile sim in the phone and it is activated. Your iPhone also needs to be unlocked.

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I'm curious about this too. I see most carriers limit you to only being able to toggle between LTE and 3G. You could toggle between 3G and edge before the update.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes. It is now labeled 4G on my 4S and if I turn it off, I get edge speeds.

Attached Files:

14. bozzykid macrumors 68020

On the iPhone 5 you can now only disable/enable LTE with the new carrier update.

15. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

aww, that sucks big time. especially if you're in a place with no LTE or compatible 3G. glad i decided to hold off on updating. thanks for the update.

16. bozzykid macrumors 68020

What's the problem? If you don't have LTE just disable the setting. Unless you are in an area where it switches between edge and 3G constantly, not having that option is not a big deal. And with the latest iPhone, I don't notice it draining much battery even in that case.

17. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

what's wrong? if your area doesn't have LTE or even 3G, nothing has changed, just turn it off

if your area originally has 3G, leave it on, it just reads 4G now.

18. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

for me, i noticed that turning off 3G gives me an extra 1-1.5 hour of battery life (according to the settings->general->about->usage time). so if i only had the option to disable LTE, i would get 1-1.5 hour less battery usage. it would actually last longer than that since i won't be using it continuously for that long

----------

the thing is that there's only the option to turn off LTE now for the iPhone 5 (assuming i did the carrier update). there's no more option to turn off 3G/4G

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

For those who got the carrier update and want to get the hotspot option back, you can simply restore the phone. After the restore, you can restore a backup BUT only if the backup was before the carrier update. You will then get the prompt to update the carrier settings if you go to settings/about. The carrier update is only software so it changes nothing hardware wise.

Also, if you are on 6.1.2 or below, you will have no choice but to install 6.1.3 losing your JB.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Why would the update disable hotspot? I thought all T-mobile plans had hotspot, just with a 500MB limit on the unlimited?

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Apparently, only the post paid accounts have hotspot data included.

I have three T-Mobile accounts, all prepaid. 2 are the $30 100 minutes 5GB data, the other is the $70 unlimited. On the $70 unlimited, I am using it on a Nexus 4 which has hotspot enabled and is always enabled no matter what carrier I have used it on, AT&T included, it's enabled on all Nexus 4 phones.

In the two $30 plans, I can add hotspot for $9.99. On the unlimited, I have no option whatsoever to buy hotspot.

22. bondr006 macrumors member

bondr006

This happened to mine also. Spent 45 minutes with a T-Mobile tech trying to explain to her that the setting was gone, and she kept trying to direct me through a menu that no longer existed. I finally got her to understand that and found there was nothing she could do about it. So she sent me to the Apple store for a genius appointment from which I just got back from, and guess what? The Apple Genius can't help me either. Told me I need to contact T-Mobile support again to get it figured out. :mad: What the heck am I going to do? :confused:

23. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

If you need it now and you are on 6.1.2, jailbreak it and install tetherme from Cydia and it will enable native tethering. Otherwise, jailbreak patch your comm and wait for somenone to release an updated carrier bundle or make your own.

24. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It's not that complicated. You have to have personal mobile hotspot enabled on your T-mobile account for it to work. The new postpaid accounts have this by default (500MB/month). Otherwise, you have to add it as an add-on service for $15/month.

25. bondr006, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

bondr006 macrumors member

bondr006

Yes, I know that. After I got the update yesterday, I called T-Mobile and upgraded to the $60.00 2.5gb unlimited plan that includes the Personal Hotspot. The trouble is that when I touch the enable personal hotspot button in settings, it tells me I have to contact t-mobile to set it up. When I call t-mobile to do that, there is no place in the settings menu to put the APN info that enables the hotspot, For some reason the update changed the settings menu on my iPhone and there is no longer a place to put the APN info that enables the Personal Hotspot.

Edit: Well, now I am scratching my head. While I was going through the settings menus trying to figure this thing out, the darn settings changed right in front of my eyes and I now have the option to turn the hotspot on and off. I can use wifi, bluetooth, and usb. WTH? T-Mobile must have sent out another update to fix the problem because I was not the only one to lose my hotspot settings. I swear to god that the settings just changed right in front of my eyes. I was getting ready to take a screen shot to post here, and BOOM!....the settings were back and the problem fixed. :eek: