T-Mobile Users - Are you going in? Or waiting for 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Essenar, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Will you be buying the T-Mobile iPhone 5 or waiting for the 5S?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2013.
  1. Hell yes! I need the speed now and my current phone is slow and outdated.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Hell no! The 5S is around the corner! I'll wait for an AWS 5S!

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I'm in a refarmed area so I'm happy with what I have!

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I'm done with the iPhone! Here I come S3!!!

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Essenar macrumors 6502a

The announcement of the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile with AWS support is certainly good news for T-Mobile users, given the speed, HD voice and the overall $70 cheaper price with a value plan.

However, most experts agree the iPhone 5S will be announced in June.

Are you going to buy an iPhone 5 to save $70 and get AWS speeds, and be outdated in two months?

Or are you going to wait, even if the T-Mobile iPhone 5S is delayed (Not likely, Apple even said the hardware is the same for both, they just have to make all GSM iPhones compatible with AWS), and pick that up?

Third option- You wait, even if the T-Mobile iPhone 5S is delayed, you pick up the AT&T 5S because you live in a refarmed area?

This isn't as bad as the iPhone 4 being released on Verizon because it was only a few months late. I believe it launched in January after a June 2010 release. 6 months versus 7 which in 2013 makes a bigger difference. In 2010 the iPhone was the phone to have, period. Now? It's debatable.

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. Essenar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't play that card. Seriously don't. The whole, everything is sunshine and rainbows and "My iPhone 4 is perfect the way it is" doesn't really fly in 2013.

As soon as the new phone is out, yours is outdated. Does it mean it's not useful? No, but it definitely lost its resale value.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Historically the "S" line of iphones has stood for Sucker! The next real innovation will be in the iPhone 6. The "s" line hasn't provided much in the way of big advancements in the iPhone series.

5. MadDog Jackson macrumors newbie

Gonna wait for the 5s. I'm good with my dumphone/IpodTouch5G combo for now.

6. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

I use a 3G now(lol) on T-mobile with no contract.

I'll either upgrad to a 3GS or 4 or wait to see what this "low cost" model will be.

$580 is not worth it for an iphone 5. ($99 down + $20 a month for 24 months)

7. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Definitely waiting. My 4S will satisfy me just fine until I can get a 5S.

Imagine the improved processor on T-Mobile's LTE... It's gonna be amazing!

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

You are extremely uninformed. The difference between the 4S and the 4 were night and day. Sure it looks the same on the outside but who cares if it looks the same. It's the internals that make the huge difference. The A5 chip was a beast and is still being used until this day with the ATV, iPod, and the iPad mini.

S versions tend to fix all the flaws of the previous iteration along with additional benefits. Expect a 128GB iPhone 5S with an all new A7 chip, a 12MP camera , improved exterior to minimize scratches, a larger battery, and of course some feature in iOS 7 that will be "exclusive" to the 5S.

9. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I moved to T-Mobile last month but I am using a 4S and a Nexus 4 with them. I have no plans to buy another iPhone for a few years at least. The iPhone 5 didn't interest me and I doubt the 5S will either. I'll see what happens with the 6. For now, I am happy using my 4S and Nexus 4.

10. Sophia. macrumors member

Sophia.

I would wait on the 5S unless for some reason your on an iPhone 3GS or similar and can't wait to upgrade and get some iPhone 5 goodness. :p

11. Mellisaray macrumors regular

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this, but here goes. Ahem.

Most people buy phones on two-year contracts so they can get the subsidized price. Therefore, most people do NOT buy every iPhone model. Maybe you're lucky and can dump off the old phone each year to a parent or child and get a new one. But if you're on your own, you are most likely going to wait for two years.

Therefore, people like me who bought the iPhone 4S when it came out are coming close to our date for a reduced-price upgrade. People who bought an iPhone 5 at launch are NOWHERE CLOSE to that date. This means the iPhone 5S is targeted at people who own an iPhone 4S or older model or the people who don't own an iPhone.

An iPhone 5S is not targeted at people who own an iPhone 5.

As long as these phones cost $600 at full price, this will be the way things are.

13. Ann P macrumors 68020

Didn't want to make a new thread - Just a quick question for anyone out there. On April 12th, can I go in a retail store and buy the phone for $579 full price? Any tax? I'm a current T-Mobile customer. Thanks.

14. ffsjhcxa macrumors newbie

The next real innovation will be in the iPhone 6.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

The only thing I wouldn't expect is 128GB. They are pushing more for cloud storage than local storage.

16. taedouni macrumors 65816

Cloud storage isn't favorable for those who want 128GB. Most people who want that large capacity take a lot of photos and have an extremely large photo collection. Photo stream temporarily stores your pictures (not permanently). Plus iCloud storage doesn't extend the 25GB capacity of iTunes Match.

You and I don't need 128, but a decent amount of people want it and it's an extra $100 for Apple. The cost difference for Apple between 64GB and 128GB is single digit while the price difference in the phone would be $100. They don't need a large supply but a small enough supply. Plus, some people will upgrade just because of the capacity. I know that was the main reason why I upgraded from the 32GB iPhone 4 to a 64 GB iPhone 4S (one of the main reasons. Not the only one )

17. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Of course not, it's favorable to apple. Their profit margin will also drop for the 128GB model. 64gb to 128gb flash memory is a steep increase. Flash memory price isn't linear to its size, it's more like an exponential curve (except not that crazy)