T-mobile vs Verizon, am I missing something here??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacR5, Mar 28, 2013.

1. MacR5 macrumors member

So I've been doing some calculations and it seems to me that T-mobile (for multiple lines at least) is much much cheaper than Verizon. Please see my calcs below and let me know if I'm missing something. (keep in mind this is over a 3 year period - I can use the same phone for 3 years)

Hypothetical 3 line plan over 3 years.

VERIZON
    $597.00 : 3 iPhones @ $199 each
    $6,120.00 : Plan with 2gb shared data over 36 months

$6,717.00 : Total Cost of phones and plan over 36 months

T-mobile
    $1,737.00 : 3 iPhones
    $3,240.00 : 500mg family plan x 3 lines

$4,977.00 : total cost

T-mobile savings over Verizon of $1740 over 3 years or $580 per line.

Hypothetical 5 lines over 3 years

VERIZON
    $1,495.00 : 5 iPhones
    $9,000.00 : Plan with 2gb shared data

$10,495.00 : total cost

T-mobile
    $2,895.00 : 5 iPhones
    $3,960.00 : 500mb family plan x 5 lines

$6,855.00 : total

T-mobile savings over Verizon of $3640 or $728 per line.

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Verizon in general has better coverage. So you save money but lose mostly likely LTE and maybe even 3G in some areas.

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

If you live in a place with good tmobile coverage, go with them.

4. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Sounds right to me, and exactly why I switched from AT&T to Net10. Same coverage. Same 4G speeds. Half the price. No LTE, but doesn't matter. It's not worth doubling my phone bill over.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're comparing the most expensive US carrier with the cheapest one.
    Yes, savings will be there but that might come with less coverage and slower speeds.
    But if you're in a good service Tmobile area and don't travel much you'd be fine.

6. rockitdog Suspended

I've heard from several people that Net 10 will throttle your data speeds if you routinely go over 2 GB of data/ month. I'm not trying to watch how much data I use every month.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For the amount of money you're paying ($45) what did you expect?
    You cant have unlimited everything with good coverage and lots of data for dirt cheap. Gotta give up speed after a certain amount or pay double or more per month for more data.
    Some can get away with less and save some cash in the meantime.

8. rockitdog Suspended

I understand that they aren't going to give you 10GB/ mo but 2 isn't much!

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

T-Mobile's coverage is pretty terrible. Verizon is ever so slightly better than AT&T but as of today, 4G/LTE speeds fall significantly behind AT&T as well as the no simultaneous data and voice thing. The last part might/will change in the future. I suggest AT&T if you're looking for "best" overall including pricing.

10. MacR5 thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impression that AT&T and Verizon plans are pretty comparable so rather than do the extra math just compared Verizon to T-mobile. I've used T-mobile and where I was living the coverage was similar to what I currently use now (Verizon) but once you're out in the stix probably not as good.

I guess it's up to each individual if the savings are worth the network - or lack thereof. To me T-mobile's looking pretty good.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes T-Mobile is significantly cheaper than Verizon. If you're in an area with good T-Mobile coverage it's no reason not to go with them. They also have simultaneous voice+data on the iPhone while Verizon does not.

But if you travel often or need rural coverage, the extra thousands on Verizon might be worth it.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For $45 with unlimited calls, texts and 2GB it's a deal.
    It's only $45 including taxes. What more you expect for that price?

13. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

T-Mobile does not have LTE in my area. AT&T does not have LTE here either. Plus the fact that I have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon account. Makes the choice pretty simple for me.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

15. rockitdog Suspended

I wouldn't touch Sprint if someone offered for me free sprint service. Just for fun you should go check out their message boards and get a feel for the crappy service they offer!

16. AutoUnion39, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

OP, you just can't compare T-Mobile and VZW/AT&T. They aren't gunning for the same customers at all. VZW/aT&T are spending billions of dollars laying LTE everywhere, whereas T-Mobile is still struggling to have some sort of negligible 3G network. They're basically pretty much everywhere.

T-Mobile caters to a lower class of people, especially the ones who are constantly worried about saving money, but are willing to put up with a crappy service, in exchange for the "savings"

A good analogy is a Hyundai versus Lexus. Lexus (VZW/AT&T) caters to a higher end customer and they never harp on constantly about how much money they can save you, but Hyundai (Sprint/T-Mobile) sells to a lower end customer base and constantly advertises how cheap you can get their car (services) and how you can have crappy credit and still qualify for a new car.

(I'm sure Hyundai makes an ok product, but I'll take the Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Lexus)

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    You get what you pay for.

18. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

T-mobile just spent 4 billion to modernize their network.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They are still many years behind AT&T and Verizon.

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

So? They have a significant amount of EDGE outside of pretty much every major city. VZW/AT&T have at least 3G in those areas and have had 3G for a couple years now.

They spent $4 billion, yet are so behind? They're 5 years into 3G deployment, but don't have any sort of considerable 3G network. VZW will be done with LTE by the 2013 and AT&T has said mid-2014. They only started in 2011. Pretty pathetic.

21. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I'm in NYC and t-mobile's 3G network is awesome. T-mobile efforts are going to make service and prices better for all mobile consumers. This is a win win for everyone.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Exactly, you're in the middle of the city. Now try to drive down to DC. You loose the 3G service for most of the trip (I've done it multiple time) and are stuck on EDGE. My AT&T phone? All LTE.

I drove from Boston to DC last month. I never lost LTE once on my AT&T device. My Audi on T-Mobile? It was stuck on EDGE because T-Mobile is too cheap to cover major highways with 3G.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its nowhere near awesome.
    Drive a mile or 2 down and you're back to 2G Edge service.
    I agree that more competition is always better and can only benefit the end consumer.
    So I'm really hoping Tmobile keeps it up and puts pressure on the other 2 big carriers.
    I'm really digging that new thing they got going on with no contracts and with letting you pay off your phone in monthly installments on your bill and letting you upgrade whenever you want.

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You have been able to basically do the same thing for years now. Use a credit card :)

Buy the phone at the out-of-contract price and then put it on your credit card. No contract and you can pay off the phone sometime in the future.

25. Diode, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

While once true, Hyundai has caught up and makes a extremely reliable car at a practical price. JD Power, US News, Consumer Reports etc all agree.

I mean overpay for something if you want but I've long since paid off my car and use the money saved to do other worthwhile things - international travel, savings etc.

I'm currently on AT&T but who knows - maybe T-Mobile will catch up too ;)