T-shirt makes a monkey out of Obama. Literally.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 14, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Aaaaaannnd another race card gets played:

By election time, I expect we'll have a full deck. :mad:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed, sometimes i truly wonder if we (as in people) have come as far as we've liked to think.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's just as bad later in the article, Lee:

Awww, da poor widdle babies. Unable to find anyplace else to proclaim their racism. :mad:

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, at least Obama-monkey is more cute than Bush-monkey.

Lethal

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'd be upset too if someone had a picture of me on their t-shirt with Obama's name under it!!

Curious George RULES!!

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long into the race to see something like this.

We all like to think we've progressed so far towards racial and sexual equality, but the evidence isn't there. Racism and sexism is still rampant and deadly. We've made some strides, but there is still a lot further to go than most of us are comfortable admitting.

9. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

when i first saw the shirt i thought "oh that's cute", then i thought about the whole monkey obama thing and then i understood.
    but this is america and they have free speech, so you really can't protest the selling of the shirts.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

no we haven't

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sure you can, you have the freedom to speak out against things like this. Also, there might be copyright issues to deal with.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hSsuRlm1gQzFuWR2WalQ1guBSzVgD90LJPBO0

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Freedom of speech doesn't cover "hate speech". If I walked around with a t-shirt that said something racist (especially hateful things inciting violence) or deeply misogynistic, that is NOT protected speech. PERIOD. This t-shirt is not a clever opinion. It's just racist. It diminishes everyone.

~ CB

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

People just dont know when to stop do they?

This mans education stopped at 9th grade. He isn't aware that racism is no longer a society norm. Lets give him a break. :rolleyes:

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so comparing Bush to a monkey is ok (the humorous picture with the face expressions come to mind) but comparing Obama to one isn't ?

make it up your mind

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

one has racial overtones and the other doesnt.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't buy that argument... sorry but it's a fair deal to me

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

PoD is right. Comparing black people to simians is a running gag among racists in the United States that evokes the old slavery rationalization that held black people were literally subhuman.

Comparing Bush to a monkey is not racist because no similar history exists. It is merely insulting to him personally.

The comparison you make is an excellent example of what's meant by "a foolish consistency."

18. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Whether you "buy" it or not has no bearing on anything. :rolleyes:

"One has racial overtones, one does not" is a simple statement of fact.

It has to do with the history of that type of imagery and what it means to the average human. Your opinion of it is unlikely to roll back the understandings most people have based on the last two hundred years of popular culture.

19. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

The racial overtones are clear. Racist crowd members at sporting events are known for making monkey noises at black athletes, for example. It's a common insult.

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Really? That's so gross! :eek:

I live in a very multi-cultural, multi-racial area (Canada, West Coast) and had a conversation at a party just last week with a group of people about how it seems like racism is basically "over" now. Everyone agreed that they hadn't heard a racial epithet or heard of any racially-based violence in a long time.

I guess it isn't over everywhere. I think I live in a bubble or something. :(

21. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Oh! You naive young thing (I presume), racism is far from 'over'- there is plenty evident if you look for it. If you ever come to England, just read the Daily Mail. Or look up any world conflict, like Chechnia, or Palestine.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the only person i know where that is regularly done is Oliver Kahn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Kahn)

i guess it's different elsewhere i think there were some incidents in Italy at Lazio a few years ago

Virgil-TB2:
    i'm not from the united states thus i'm sorry if don't have your popular culture of "omg teh slaves" not ingrained in my brain just because somebody is compared to a monkey

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

It's a paradoy...get over it!

Though, I know how people (in the US) can get racial undertones out of it due to previous associations. However, you can't selectively choose who to paradoy. You should be free to make anyone look like a monkey regardless of race, gender, religion or creed. If you don't allow an Obama monkey, you must also not allow a Bush monkey...and there have been many Bush monkeys.

Now, if this was created solely as a racist piece, than I can understand the protest. But if it was just created as a parody, then there is nothing wrong with it.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Racism is hilarious.

25. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Racism isn't "over", Virgil, it's just been driven into the shadows. It's still there, every time you get a monkey=black man reference, or some idiot who doesn't like Obama "because he's a Muslim".

I expect it'll come out in various ways during this election, either in overt ways like this t-shirt, or subtle ways like people who are "not comfortable" with Obama, which is code for "because he's bi-racial".