Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
I don't get it. Why is tabbed browsing so popular? How is it useful?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Tabbed Browsing

Originally posted by Kyle

My personal opinion is that it is more useful on smaller screens (laptops).

I personally don't use tabs, and instead spawn new windows across my two montors. Load a new one, while reading another and can use "Command-~" to swtich between them or just click on them.

This works very well.

arn

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Re: Re: Tabbed Browsing

Originally posted by arn
My personal opinion is that it is more useful on smaller screens (laptops).

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I have a 22inch monitor on which i dont use tabs but with the ibook they are indispensible.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Re: Tabbed Browsing

Originally posted by Kyle

It's useful for people (especially people with small monitors) that don't like having to click the Dock icon or use the Window menu if they want to find a window that is behind others. With tabbed browsing, you never have to look around for anything--it's always right there in the front window.

--Fred

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i never thought of it that way guys. definitely insightful. on my iBook, tabs are a way of life. I can only afford one browser window. If i had a 20" it would be much different.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Even on my dual-monitor setup at work I prefer using tabs for browsing MR's forums. Here's how I go about it:

1) I use the view new posts function to see what the current discussions are, which gives me a long list of threads.

2) Rather than open them one at a time, or go back and forth between a new window and the results, I command click on each interesting topic and have Chimera open the new page in a tab in the background. This allows me to keep browsing the current page, but have my new pages waiting for me when I'm done.

3) From then on, I just read a thread and then close the tab when I'm done to move to the next thread.

I find it much more efficient than switching back and forth, or minimizing windows.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
most of you have probably heard a lot of the hooplah about safari and tabs today. tabs in safari are actually better than they are in chimera. i had become used to just layering full-screen windows on top of each other and using the dock menu to change, but the tabs are a welcome addition. they have a close button (something chimera sorely lacked) and switching between tabs on my g3 imac is much faster in safari than chimera. either way, if you don't want tabs, you don't have to use them and the feature certainly stays out of your way in both browsers if you don't (i've known people who used chimera for weeks before realizing that you could use tabs). once click and hold menus work (how hard is this to implement?) i'll have no complaints (apart from the ugly tables on vt and the fact that closing tabs resizes the window, both bugs in 62).

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
most of you have probably heard a lot of the hooplah about safari and tabs today. tabs in safari are actually better than they are in chimera. i had become used to just layering full-screen windows on top of each other and using the dock menu to change, but the tabs are a welcome addition. they have a close button (something chimera sorely lacked) and switching between tabs on my g3 imac is much faster in safari than chimera. either way, if you don't want tabs, you don't have to use them and the feature certainly stays out of your way in both browsers if you don't (i've known people who used chimera for weeks before realizing that you could use tabs). once click and hold menus work (how hard is this to implement?) i'll have no complaints (apart from the ugly tables on vt and the fact that closing tabs resizes the window, both bugs in 62).
Tabs aren't quite better than in Chimera yet, IMO. It's true that Chimera's tabs don't have close buttons on the tabs themselves, but if you customize the toolbar you can add the "Close Current Tab" button to it. That's kind of even better since it's always in the same place (in Safari it can take a few hundred milliseconds for the brain to figure out which tab's close button to aim for).

Also, Safari can't yet open tabs in the background, or open links provided by another app (e.g. Mail.app) as a tab instead of a new window.

You're right that switching between tabs is faster in Safari, though. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
one arguement I've read for tabs is a bit interesting...

in that you can collect tabs on a related topic into one window.

Like if you were researching DVD players, you could open up all the tabs relating to DVD players into one window.

Now.... this only becomes useful if you can have "advanced" tab-related manipuation... which includes saving a "tab set" of a window with all open windows as a sort of "super" bookmark, and be able to load that window/set of tabs again in the future.

I don't know if that's possible.

arn

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I like the idea that Safari has a close button on the tabs, much easier than right clicking and selecting a context menu, but I prefer how the PC tabbed browsers handle them (Phoenix and Opera) where you click your middle button to open a new tab in the background and you also click the middle button to close it, having a little X on it is alright I guess but being able to close it with the middle button I'm more used to.

Ah well..........

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by arn
one arguement I've read for tabs is a bit interesting...

in that you can collect tabs on a related topic into one window.

Like if you were researching DVD players, you could open up all the tabs relating to DVD players into one window.

Now.... this only becomes useful if you can have "advanced" tab-related manipuation... which includes saving a "tab set" of a window with all open windows as a sort of "super" bookmark, and be able to load that window/set of tabs again in the future.

I don't know if that's possible.

arn

Yes, it's quite possible. In fact, Chimera ships with one of the "super" bookmarks in place.

In the Toolbar Bookmarks is a bookmark called "Mac News Tabs". When invoked, it will bring up MacCentral, MacNN and MacInTouch in separate tabs.

You can create your own by opening several tabs and then going to the Bookmarks window and selecting "Add Page to Bookmarks" (or command + D) and then checking the "Bookmark all tabs" box. Very cool feature.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by alex_ant
Tabs aren't quite better than in Chimera yet, IMO....Safari can't yet open tabs in the background, or open links provided by another app (e.g. Mail.app) as a tab instead of a new window.

You're right that switching between tabs is faster in Safari, though. :)
You can actually open tabs in the background--you just need to hit Shift-Cmd-Click.

I agree with the rest, though. Safari is getting closer to replacing Chimera in my dock, though.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.