Tablets for women:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Mar 14, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

The Middle East really needs a good ole' sweeping cultural change

Link

Ridiculous is an understatement.

Why would women even need or want a device like this?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Next, tablets for gays, with Grindr and fashion apps preinstalled ! :rolleyes:

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You, of all people, have the gall to start a thread where you spout what one wants or needs. I may have this smile on my face all day.

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well it's not the same thing. I'm not telling women what they do or don't need, just pointing out gender stereotypes. Nor am I saying that women don't need a woman tablet so let's ban it.

substantial difference. :)

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Psh, give me THAT tablet, and I'd shove it you know where. :eek:

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

The iPad is just so manly. and women could never understand how to download apps.

:rolleyes:

these people just blow my mind

7. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

lol

8. citizenzen Suspended

While just eight days ago ...

But apparently spouting off about cultures is A-okay.

I'd suggest that you do not "need" to be consistent.

9. elistan macrumors 6502a

eric/ understands "need" and has no problem with it, or the lack thereof. He just doesn't believe that the lack is justification for making something illegal. So if you asked him "Why do you need guns"? he'll be perfectly happy to answer, and that's the end of that. However if you told him "We're banning guns, you don't need them, so be quiet," then he'll get incensed. (Or start asking all sorts of questions about why and what is morality. ;) )

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, well........

Two distinct - and separate - issues seem to have arisen over the course of this thread. One, the first, is the post made by the OP, and the second arises out of the responses to the OP's posts and stances on other threads.

Re the second, I daresay political perspectives differ, and mine will have differed, sometimes dramatically, on occasion from those held by Eric.

However, re the subject matter of this thread, firstly, to the OP, thank you for posting this link and raising this as a matter for discussion in a tech related forum.

With regard to the actual link, yes, of course, this very idea is dreadful, and is utterly and profoundly insulting in its very conception, let alone its foul and patronising execution. Worse, it comes from a region where attitudes to gender are often extremely patronising, and come loaded with clichéd cultural stereotypes buttressed by attitudes reinforced from texts which claim divine authority which one often finds in discussions of gender in that part of the world. That much is clear.

However, clichés of cultural condescension and patronising attitudes to women are not confined to the Middle east, and, in my experience, some males in the tech world (where one might hope, expect and indeed pray to find enlightened values) are every bit as obnoxiously offensive and primitive in their attitudes to women, as some of the less progressive states of the Middle East.

We might argue that it is no accident that this dreadful product is floated by a company which comes from the Middle East. However, I would argue that, equally, neither is it an accident to find such a witless idea coming from some of the male members of the tech world, reflecting as it does their utter condescension for women, which leaches out unwittingly on occasion.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Eh, if there is really a demand for this thing, it'll sell. If there isn't, it won't and will most likely be discontinued.

Lets wait to find out what happens. I can see this doing well in certain countries that have an oppressive view on women's rights, somehow.

12. citizenzen Suspended

Indeed.

or ...

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So it's a tablet preloaded with apps that might offend some women? This can easily be turned into a regular tablet. People are so effing stupid.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I want to know how they acquired investors or approval from their board on this. More than one person had to decide that this was a good idea to bring such a thing to market.

Bleh. I don't see the big deal with Gordon Ramsey's comment. You could simply read it as men and women today defy typical gender stereotypes when it comes to cooking.

15. citizenzen Suspended

It's more than a comment by one man.

It has become one of the more pervasive internet memes out there.

Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!

I thought my quote clarified that.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Feminist groups (it didn't mention which ones) should learn to ignore things like memes. It's not like they are posted as serious social statements. If anything a lot of memes just make fun of attitudes that have been forced out of the mainstream of society.

17. citizenzen Suspended

I don't disagree.

But I will suggest it's easy to think that someone else needs to let things slide.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd love to let it slide, but, but, but, (in the absence of others wading into these murky waters), I find I cannot.

It would be easy to dismiss it as something not worth heeding, and I'd love to do that, and happily disregard such a witless and unimaginative foray into the tech market as something not worth bothering about.

But, for all that, there are a few points which need to be made and attitudes which need to be challenged in any such discussion. The first, obvious one, is not just the apps which have been preloaded onto this device, but the attitudes such actions reveal.

These are attitudes which suggest, strongly, that the preloaded apps are appropriate (and desirable) for women to be able to access, which is one thing, but further, that what is appropriately considered an area of female engagement as defined by women's interests ought to extend no further. It is not just that these are areas of perceived interest to women, it is that women ought not to be encouraged to seek information or material outside of these narrowly defined parameters. It is an attempt to circumscribe what is considered ideal for a woman to know about, and to want to know about.

Moreover, these attitudes send a strong signal that women have little interest in (and in these societies ought to have no interest in) tech matters, and nor should women be encouraged to develop such an interest.

It would be very nice (and all too easy) to condemn the Middle Eastern region (yet again) for their deplorable attitudes to women, and they richly deserve whatever condemnation can be heaped upon them when discussing this topic.

However, it is also horribly reminiscent of the ghastly attempt by the London toy store Hamley's to label different floors 'pink' and 'blue' thereby differentiating between toys considered appropriate for boys (which were mostly imaginative, well made toys which were designed so that whoever played with them had to do something active, such as build, construct, or think through an activity), and the striking difference between those ghastly toys solely targetted at girls, which, needless to say, promoted a limited and restrictive world view of what it is - or ought to be - female, whereby the girl in question simply admired, or consumed the toy, (dressing a doll and focussing on appearance, - the 'hair and beauty sets' for example, rather than using your imagination to build a world).

That particular marketing scam was seen off by a wonderful pair of sisters (both mothers) who launched the splendid movement 'Pinkstinks' to address what they called 'gender apartheid' in toys, and the deeper, more insidious messages and attitudes this served to reinforce in the wider world, that certain activities were not considered suitable for girls, and that the ones which were seen as suitable were so limited in scope and imagination.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Curiously, according to ars, most of the women in the target market region are in fact very tech-savvy and would either root this device or just buy a real device.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

These groups decide how to spend their time and resources. Lending attention to a seemingly stupid product seems like a poor use of their time. It looks like something that could be a hoax product. It's a little odd to see the UI in English with the article written in what looks like Arabic. I can't read Arabic, Farsi, or any of the other languages of that region. I'm judging very roughly by what characters I have seen. I think the article misses the point that it's not just an issue of sexism. It's obnoxious because it dictates lifestyle choices and interests to the user. Even if they didn't use cheesy gender based cliches, it would still be obnoxious in a general computing device.

21. citizenzen Suspended

Agreed.

And if they don't use their time and resources wisely, if they make a product that is shoddy or doesn't meet the needs of the market, then they—like countless other businesses have in the past—will lose out.

I'm quite willing to let the market ultimately decide this matter.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I was referring to the feminist groups with that comment. Why waste time complaining about a product that is unlikely to gain traction, assuming this is a real product. If it is one, they need to fire whatever board approved this. If it's a startup company, how did they find investors for such a thing?

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only problem is they left the male version out. Some people need training wheels on their technology.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Now, if the tablet for men was designed by women based on what they think men need and respond to, that would be proper symmetry :p