Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
hehe i knew it. i didnt want to post anything cuz it was all speculation. this info first appeared in the comments of dave hyatts blog. no one knew whether or not to take it as truth and of course dave neither confirmed nor denied. looks like thinksecret has gotten a real scoop.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
great find; tabs are especially usefull to users with ibooks and the small powerbook because it really helps you browse alot of content on a small screen. I hope they develop a good keystroke to move between the tabs. I feel that Chimera still lacks this.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
yay! this will probably let me be able to use safari all the time instead of chimera

thecure

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2002
Finally, I can now switch to Safari from Chimera. So long. You were a great browser..... tear...

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
Yeah, once we download the version Apple wants the masses to have, apply all the hacks and open all the hidden/debug features - it'll be the way it should've been on Day 1.

Goblin2099

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
New York City
From ThinkGeek.com:

Use it as an interjection or a celebratory statement! As in...'Hey! I just upgraded my 56k modem to 1.1 SDSL. w00t! w00t!'. Works every time. True it's an independent clause, but really the best clauses are always independent. w00t.

w00t belongs to gamers the world over. It seems to have been derived from the obselete 'whoot' which essentially is another way to say 'hoot' which itself is a shout or derisive laugh. But others maintain that w00t is the sound several players make while jumping like bunnies in Quake III. Still others want you to believe that it comes from the phrase 'wow loot' used in multiplayer RPGs many moons ago. Fiction or fact? I suppose you'll just have to decide what 'w00t!' means to you...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I assumed it was only speculation, good stuff . I think we'll see 1.0 sooner than later

RandomMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2002
There's more than tabs, here.

I have been developing CSS right sites recently to test Safari's rendering engine and at the moment, while it is very good, it isn't quite as good as Gecko with CSS. All the normal stuff works fine, but when you throw in tons of <div>s and <span>s with margins/borders/padding/background/position/float/etc. it sometimes doesn't come out right.

Of course, nothing is perfect and I appreciate the challenge of getting all this CSS to render correctly.

I remember David Hyatt posting that he zapped a lot of CSS bugs. I'm anxious to see them.

[edit: the point doesn't really shine through here... basically I'm saying that it isn't interface alone that warrents a total switch. BTW, Safari is my primary browser anyway]

- RMG

Note: The CSS in question is valid and the HTML in which it is embedded is XHTML 1.1 valid...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
While this is a welcome feature, it probably won't make me switch just yet. I'm waiting for keychain storage of logins in Safari... I sure hope they implement it someday!

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Alright!
Safari is my default browser anyhow and this should make it even better!
Safari is my default browser for this reason: You can always expect Apple to improve things. One step at a time and easily through Software Update things become better on this side of the fence!

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by bigjohn
Yeah, once we download the version Apple wants the masses to have, apply all the hacks and open all the hidden/debug features - it'll be the way it should've been on Day 1.

Assuming that day 1 was sometime in April (or later, since they wouldn't have been getting bug reports) in your alternate reality. It's a BETA. Sheesh...

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I posted about this earlier with a screen shot in anoterh Safari thread, oh well.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
w00t! The tabs work really well...

The only flaw noted in my minute or so of testing is that after 10 tabs, they go off the edge of the browser. Luckily, this is irrelevant for me.

It's also really fast.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
great find; tabs are especially usefull to users with ibooks and the small powerbook because it really helps you browse alot of content on a small screen. I hope they develop a good keystroke to move between the tabs. I feel that Chimera still lacks this.

shift-apple-arrow (from what i hear;)

As to the poster, Safari doesn't *have* autofill, meerly a menu option for forms and ThinkSecret doesn't mention autofill being a feature yet either. But I guess it's a done deal regardless.

davem2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
i haven't spent much time using tabs, but it seems a lot like how windows allows you to minimize multiple windows within a single frame. is it the same idea?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Where is this 'debug' menu?? :confused:

I know its not out yet...but is that menu new in the next version? Or am I just a little slow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.