Taco Bell - Order & Pay From Your Phone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Southern Dad, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

In this day where labor costs are promising to rise, Taco Bell has rolled out an app that let's you order and pay prior to arrival at the store via smartphone. When you arrive, you check in and receive your order through a special line. Taco Bell's parent company is Yum Brands which also owns Kentucky Fried Chicken and Pizza Hut.

Labor costs are a significant part of any fast food operator's budget. Recently, there have been calls to raise minimum wage to $10 or even more. Here in the PRSI many of us predicted that fast food employers would look to kiosks or other methods to replace some restaurant employees.

What does this mean for the minimum wage workers that take those orders? While this won't eliminate them but it will certainly cut down the number needed to take those orders. Will you use it? I'm not generally a Taco Bell customer but I plan to give it a try, to see how it works.

Taco Bell disrupts fast-food ordering with new app

[​IMG]

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Toxic Hell is pretty expensive for what they serve. Not thanks . Hard to say what impact the app will have

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure you can already buy a pizza from dominos, Pizza Hut etc online.

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You can. Actually, I think that is pretty much the only way we order pizza now. My DD12 usually does it on her iPad.

-----------------------

This app ordering and payment system could really change the staffing requirements of a fast food restaurant. Less people on the front counter.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I can feel the absolute happiness coming off this page, as you have even more people that you can feel superior to.:(

It comes across in nearly every post you make on this forum.:cool:

But IMO the sad fact is, that just the FACT that you need to look down on some sections of your population, means that you yourself are not living a for filling life, I feel actually sorry for you.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You use the term DD12 a lot. What does it mean?

7. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yet another personal attack against me rather than discuss the topic at hand. I get it you don't like me but are you able to even discuss the topic?

Internet shorthand in many forums, DD12 = 12-year-old Darling Daughter.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yea but Taco Bell makes most anyone I know sit on the toilet cleaning their system out. :D

9. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That may be true, I guess I'll find out later today. I'm going to try it out. At the moment, I've actually got nothing scheduled for lunch. Obviously, I'm a person who loves technology. I've tried Apple Pay at McDonalds, really just to try it.

One of my complaints about fast food has always been the front counter help. In my experience, they often don't know what is on the menu, and have trouble finding it on the computer. My DD12 always wants her sandwich with no mustard or onions, this is always an issue for the order taker. I take my coffee with two Splenda, never sugar... Again difficult for the order taker to find and enter. We never seem to have a problem getting the order made correctly, just the time dealing with the counter staff. Really want to see confusion? Use a coupon.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you think the app is going to make obscure ordering any better, you're out of your mind.

And at the end of the day, the majority of people aren't going to even use it.

11. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

WaWa convenience stores make deli sandwiches from kiosk orders. Even McDonalds makes the special orders well, once they are entered. You may be right about adoption of it.

12. samiwas Suspended

I could see using it sometimes. Probably never if I'm going into the store, only if they have it for drive through. But, it would only be if I'm in a real hurry and need to move fast. But typically, I wouldn't go to a restaurant and pre-order using a device.

We already are losing our ability to interact with other humans, moving to the glow of a screen to keep us warm. It's not a good thing for humanity.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We talked about this in another thread. As technology increases, more people will be put out of work and put pressure on the government as they seek assistance.

Fun times ahead.

Luckily for me, I'll probably be dead.

14. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

At what point did minimum wage employees become "team members"

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I really wonder how many people will use something like this? Do people actually plan trips to Taco Bell? Especially once the novelty wears off. I know Chipotle has had this for a while so they may have some type of data on how their workforce has been effected.

If it becomes extremely popular, I could see individual stores taking the extra cashier and putting them on the line to keep up with increasing business.

That said, and maybe it's just me, but I feel like fast food is an impulse choice. I don't eat it much, but when I do, it's mostly because I'm driving with the kids and they want a happy meal or something.

16. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I agree, that it is often a "Where do you kids want to eat?" type decision but when you go in and there is a line waiting to order, you don't have to wait in that line. You can just order from your iPhone or iPad then wait for the order to be prepared.

Since I'm not a fan of lines, I often drive past fast food restaurants that appear crowded. For the drive thru, one thing that drives me crazy is when I have a giggle of little girls in the SUV and they can't make up their mind at the menu board in the drive thru. With this, they can get the order all figured out on the iPad while we are driving and when I go to the drive thru, it's all done.

Ever try and get five 6-year-olds to make up their minds about what they want? Or a group of 12-year-olds? Never works well for the daddy's sanity.

17. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Uhh, I didn't get that at all from his post. What are you talking about?

As for the topic... Yep, that's technology. Humans aren't going to be needed as much moving forward. While a rising minimum wage may or may not have an impact on kickstarting it, it would have happened regardless.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Where I live, it seems like almost all of the fast food restaurants have changed from the old McDonald's method (where there'd be multiple registers open, and different lines for each register) to having just one register, and a single queue of customers.

Seems like they achieved minimum staffing a few years ago. :eek:

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Gizmodo reviewed this Taco Bell app yesterday.

Quick Tip: It didn't work very well.

Personally, the whole experience sounds like a vision of dystopian future hell. Eating crappy cheesy gorditas and pork rinds without even the (questionable) saving graces of human contact.

But what do I know?

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This seems to be the exception, not the rule. Realistically, how many people are going to walk into a taco bell and then order on their phone instead of waiting on a line? Kids or no kids, it doesn't make much sense.

I guess time will tell.

21. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

:D

It will make fast food an even more shameful thing. I'm picturing a guy with his hood up walking in and out in 10 seconds getting his order with no words spoken or eye contact made. :p

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This is so true. I'll occasionally swing by Taco Bell, and just about every time, I'll upgrade what I order to steak or chicken in order to avoid their weird tasting beef. When I get the total, I want to kick myself in the ass, because I could've gone down the street to a real Mexican restaurant, paid just 50 cents more, and gotten something considerably better.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I love Taco Bell, bean burritos and I thought beans were good for you. ;)

24. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Yeah, Chipotle burritos cost like a dollar more than Taco Bell's big burritos and are a bit bigger and 10x better tasting.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'll admit it, I like their black bean burritos, and I get weird cravings for their Mexican pizzas more often than I should.