Taco John’s Employee Forced To Wear ‘Gaytard’ Name Tag

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Sep 24, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is just so disgusting on so many levels. Even if South Dakota doesn't specifically protect LGBT people from workplace discrimination, I'm sure there is still a good harassment lawsuit in the works here.

Link

2. TSE macrumors 68030

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Linked from the ACLU blog post...

If that is accurate, the manager lacks sensibility.

http://www.yankton.net/community/article_b1f60648-fce0-11e3-8113-001a4bcf887a.html

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's possible. I treat these things with some amount of skepticism. I don't know the age of the night manager. Assuming he's an adult, he should have developed better sensibilities. It's bad for employee relations and in bad taste to potentially present that to customers. I noticed he claims it was out of view whenever a customer was in the store.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Some jokes tend to get out of hand.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There's always three sides to every story…

The plaintiff's side
    The defendant's side
    The Truth

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought it's what we call members here who don't like the gays. Just my 10 cents. :D

11. Southern Dad, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We don't call people names here at PRSI, it's against the rules. We can think it, just not type it.

--------------------------

When I see these cases it does make me wonder where the truth lies. Companies could install cameras with audio, managers could wear body cameras, but short of that how do you avoid these type of situations? Personally, if the manager is telling the truth, I still think he made a bad management decision. He should have declined to let him use that nickname and certainly shouldn't have put it on a name tag. If the employee is telling the truth, the manager should be fired upon completion of the investigation.

--------------------------

Anecdote that you knew I'd have to include.

Walt Disney World puts the person's first name and where they are from on their work name tags. I witnessed a black patron of the park going off on a staff member in Epcot because of his name tag. He was insisting that the cast member remove his name tag. Quickly a supervisor came and I saw why he was upset. The cast member from from Niger. The patron thought it said something else and was offended. To make matters worse, the cast member spoke English well but it took him a minute to process everything the man was saying and he had an accent.

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Regardless of whether it was a "joke" that he was in on or not, the manager still deserves to lose his job. No professional manager would let a "joke" like that play out in the workplace. No professional manager would let an employee wear a name tag like that in front of customers. This would be immediate termination in my eyes. The funny part is that he went through all this trouble writing a defense and trying to play down the situation, but he basically incriminated himself to his employer at the same time by admitting that he let an employee on interact with customers while wearing that name tag. Moron.

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The minute the manager went to make the "gaytard" name tag and his conscience didn't say to him "this is probably a bad idea", he was guilty.

I think it's high time we round up all of the ignorant racists and homophobes, give them weapons, and send THEM to fight ISIS.

14. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That would backfire quickly, they'd probably join them...

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Keep in mind that fast food management at that level isn't really real high level. They have shift leaders, shift managers and all those HAM (Hourly Assistant Manager) positions. I'm sure the unit manager or franchise owner wouldn't have done something this blatantly stupid.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I had to google Yankton, SD. Sure enough, Smalltown, USA welcome to the boondocks y'all.

Country folks don't put much emphasis on social etiquette. If this had happened in a metropolitan area, I would be shocked. Not so surprised here. I can almost hear the banjos playing in the background.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I don't know about the banjos, this is in South Dakota… Those people don't even speak with a proper southern accent. Town has a population of about 15k and is 8.5 square miles. Not exactly a metropolis.

18. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

That depends on what side of the discussion you are on. If you are on the liberal side then you can call a conservative any name you like.

19. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Poor, poor conservatives.... :rolleyes:

20. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'd ask if you're serious, but sadly you really seem to think you're a victim.

21. samiwas, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

samiwas macrumors 65816

Ever been to a conservative-heavy political forum? I used to frequent one and was repeatedly told I should die, that I have a mental disease, that I should leave America before something happens to me, that I'm an idiot, moron...you name it. Oh, and it was moderated.

Sanctimonious doesn't fit you very well.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A twist on the word "retard".

Was the employee ridiculed and forced or was he making fun of himself? Why would he feel compelled to make fun of himself and why would the manager allow such a name tag be made and worn? It would put the restaurant in a bad light with many customers. I agree poor judgement all around.

23. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not surprised. When it comes down to it, right wing "values" are pretty trashy. Doesn't surprise me that people who hold those views act accordingly, like trash....

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

"Intolerance" is one of the primary conservative values.

25. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Political persuasion is not a reliable indicator of people's behavior. I've met nasty conservatives and nasty liberals. My experience has been most general discussion forums populated by strangers are littered with antisocial behavior.