Taco Trucks at Every Mosque

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jun 11, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/mus...ral&utm_campaign=im&utm_tracker=1737131x84899

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sounds great. And after a work day without eating, possibly much more appealing than the idea of going home to cook delicious smelling food while still fasting. Only other way is in the early morning, prepare not only the day's breakfast but the foods for breaking fast again that evening. And then go to work and fast all day... I'd probably be at that taco truck right as the sun sets.

I drool my way through metro papers' Ramadan recipe offerings every year. LA Times has a bunch...

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They should do the same on Sundays during lent :)

Seriously, good for them. I am glad to see good inititatives for the community.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's pretty awesome.

Although...I'm not sure I'd be interested in breaking a fast with spicy or greasy food. The old gut ain't what it used to be. :eek:

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Somehow I managed to teach mine to settle for what it gets lol (so far). I've been known to launch a morning with something like a little tuna and harissa on couscous... if ze gut hasn't really liked that, I've been too half-awake to notice. Sometimes I'm too hungry to know how to make coffee so the fridge gets raided first. Supper, breakfast, whatever comes to hand and doesn't require much attention prior to eating.

But, for those more sensible and/or sensitive than moi,,, herewith a great link to healthful and yummy recipes with which to break fast whether as suhoor or just "ordinary" breakfast:

Amanda Saab had my number in one recipe in there for sure:

"Quinoa breakfast bowls are easy to assemble in your morning stupor. Prepare the potassium, calcium and fiber-packed quinoa in large batches at the beginning of the week. Then add your toppings!”"

My personal favorite in that bunch though was the egg avocado toast:

“Toast up some bread, add some avocado and eggs and enjoy! If you want to impress your family at 3 a.m. and make them think they woke up in one of Gordon Ramsay’s restaurants, add some chive blossoms.”
    Of course I'd have to be a little more awake to trust myself with what to cut up an avocado or go out and harvest the chive tops.

The main thing to keep in mind with great suhoor recipes is that a person accustomed to eating them during Ramadan is fasting all day after that until sunset. When I eat them, then I have to go way light at the lunch table.

EDIT: Forgot to say that that link has delicious recipes for iftar, the evening meal, as well.

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I mean really?

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah I think we safely say that's a no... heh, unlike back in the Green Zone in Iraq where Halliburton apparently didn't think to make even a minor effort to offer the Iraqi translators and secretaries an alternative to walking past the aroma of bacon, pulled pork and etc delicacies in the mess hall of the palace converted to serve the Coalition Provisional Authority. Never mind what the subcontracted Pakistani and Indian Muslims thought while having to serve pork.

“If you had a complaint about the cafeteria, Michael Cole was the man to see. He was Halliburton’s “customer-service liaison,” and he could explain why the salad bar didn’t have Iraqi produce [everything was imported from Kuwait] or why pork kept appearing on the menu. If you wanted to request a different type of breakfast cereal, he’d listen... Cole never ate pork products in the mess hall. He knew many of the servers were Pakistani Muslims and he felt terrible that they had to handle food they deemed offensive. He was rewarded for his expression of respect with invitations to the Dickensian trailer park where the kitchen staff lived. They didn’t have to abide by American rules governing food procurement. Their kitchens were filled with local produce, and they cooked spicy curries that were better than anything Cole found in the cafeteria. He thought of proposing an Indian-Pakistani food night at the mess hall, but then remembered that the palace didn’t do ethnic fare. “The cooking had to make people feel like they were back at home,” he said. And home, in this case, was presumed to be somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line.”

Excerpt From: Rajiv Chandrasekaran. “Imperial Life in the Emerald City.”
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/imperial-life-in-the-emerald-city/id419994257

Maybe more community efforts like the taco truck at the mosque will help us get a little more attuned to our own diversity so we'll respect that of civilian helpers in our next military adventures abroad, if we must keep engaging in such endeavors.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Seriously ........... Mexican and Italian food could bring peace to the world. :D

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You right. But... don't leave out Sichuan and Thai...

And let's see... empanadas... although I guess those are sort of like the Italian 'Mpanatigghi

Wanna fight? :p

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Food has always brought people together, and apart if they ate enough to expand their bellies.

13. daflake macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that was just a joke... Try to lighten up just a little Steve, I worry about your blood pressure.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

@jkcerda. Your Grandmother's recipes. Food truck. Every mosque from Chula Vista to the Grapevine...

NOW. :D

BL.

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Think about it @jkcerda, extend it to Synagogues during Yom Kippur, Churros at Catholic churches on Good Friday...
    1. Taco Trucks for Fasting
    2. Post what area trucks are next
    3. Gain multi-ethnic/religious following
    4. Mix crowds
    5. Nobel Peace Prize!!!!

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

6. ?????
    7. PROFIT!!!

:p

BL.

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... Well profit is assumed after the parishioners see the Taco truck after a period of fasting! :)

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I like churros with maple syrup drizzled on top. Pretty sure I was called a "loco gringo" my first time down in Mexico for doing that, except with what I'm pretty sure was melted piloncillo with spices. I bought one of those a few years ago. It lasts forever. :eek: